Ultimate Slow Trace Recipe

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might have just stumbled on the ultimate slow trace recipe, while playing around with using full puree for liquid and a high animal fat soap. Have a customer that wants a full animal fat soap. This took forever to trace, I mean you could probably mix 10 colors and still have time for an intricate swirl. The color is gorgeous will see what it does after gel. With such high animal fat and low temp I decided to force get with this one. The puree was frozen. Will be trying this recipe with other purees, milks and plain water to see it acts the same with all, or if the papaya contributed to slowing trace

Percentages were
60% Tallow
15% Chicken Fat
15% Lard
5% CO
5% Castor
3% superfat
34% lye concentration
1.7 oz sweet orange eo
.5 patchouli eo

LisaAnne

Reaction score
Have you used chicken fat before? I've never seen that used! Interesting

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, I have been saving rendered chickie fat until I had enough to use. I am wondering if the chicken fat mixed with the lard slowed the trace. Tallow will usually trace fairly quick

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soapcalc has chicken fat on the list. As does Soapee.com

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to keep my eye on this thread. :)

Seawolfe

Reaction score
Huh, Ill be interested to hear what you think of that chicken fat addition.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just cut it and I knew I should have cut it last night after it cooled down some. With all the tallow is is a rock and chipped some on the bottom edge of some of the slices. Could not help myself and tried the sample slice I get from each batch and it lathers like a champ, not saying the chicken fat added anything but who knows. Thinking I will do a tiny batch of 100% chickie fat and see what it does, if I have enough left in the freezer

galaxyMLP

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet that bar will be lovely! I can imagine it was very hard when you cut it.

The only worry with chicken fat is that it is a bit high in linoleic/linolenic fatty acids. I made a batch with duck fat (not the same but similar enough) once with 70% with the rest lard, coconut and mango butter and it went DOS within a matter of 2 months. I doubt that will happen to this batch at only 15% but you'll probably want to closely monitor the 100% one you're planning to make!

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet that bar will be lovely! I can imagine it was very hard when you cut it.

The only worry with chicken fat is that it is a bit high in linoleic/linolenic fatty acids. I made a batch with duck fat (not the same but similar enough) once with 70% with the rest lard, coconut and mango butter and it went DOS within a matter of 2 months. I doubt that will happen to this batch at only 15% but you'll probably want to closely monitor the 100% one you're planning to make!
That is why I am going to make a tiny batch with 100% and see what it does. This was only a 7 bar batch so no big loss. I just tried the recipe again with 10% chicken fat, Tallow at 55%, with a 2% superfat to see what it does using strawberry puree. This batch was still very slow to trace, 15 min with at least half the time using a sb and using a known accelerating fo. Linoleic/linolenic is only 7% combined so that is pretty much a safe range

LOL, I am one of few that have dos problems with Lard and no dos problems with Canola, not high oleic canola either. Go figure

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, I am one of few that have dos problems with Lard and no dos problems with Canola, not high oleic canola either. Go figure
I figure it's impurities. F'rinstance, blood (iron) causes DOS. Plants don't have blood. Lard is supposed to be reasonably free of non-fat impurities like blood, but what's reasonable for food may not be wholly reasonable for soap.

galaxyMLP

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is why I am going to make a tiny batch with 100% and see what it does. This was only a 7 bar batch so no big loss. I just tried the recipe again with 10% chicken fat, Tallow at 55%, with a 2% superfat to see what it does using strawberry puree. This batch was still very slow to trace, 15 min with at least half the time using a sb and using a known accelerating fo. Linoleic/linolenic is only 7% combined so that is pretty much a safe range

Sounds like a good idea! And yes, I've read you've had problems with lard although I've never had issues with it (even with lard I've rendered myself). I think it has a lot to do with environment as well. I always get DOS with linoleic/linolenic soaps but I've noticed it gets triggered by humidity it seems. That might be why you don't have as much of an issue in sunny, dry California! I also agree that it may have something to do with impurities. Either way, if it works for you and you like it, thats what matters!

On another note, I adored the lather and skin feel on that duck soap. It was wonderful and conditioning. I really loved it! I bet you'll love the way the soap feels.

HoneyLady

Reaction score
Republic of Texas Email: kellyross7867@gmail.com
Very interesting! I have not tried chicken fat. I have cooked with it -- it's called "Schmaltz" in the Yiddish tradition. (Although I am not.) It's what gives traditional Kosher chicken liver pate its lusciousness.

I have been experimenting with a lard/tallow/butter/lanolin/goats' milk combo with 10% CO that I really like. It's low lathering, even with a touch of castor added. But, oh! it's lovely on dry skin! Sweet Cakes has an FO called New Mown Hay I added. Lovely.

Chicken fat. Hmm.

~HL~

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might have just stumbled on the ultimate slow trace recipe, while playing around with using full puree for liquid and a high animal fat soap. Have a customer that wants a full animal fat soap. This took forever to trace, I mean you could probably mix 10 colors and still have time for an intricate swirl. The color is gorgeous will see what it does after gel. With such high animal fat and low temp I decided to force get with this one. The puree was frozen. Will be trying this recipe with other purees, milks and plain water to see it acts the same with all, or if the papaya contributed to slowing trace

Percentages were
60% Tallow
15% Chicken Fat
15% Lard
5% CO
5% Castor
3% superfat
34% lye concentration
1.7 oz sweet orange eo
.5 patchouli eo
Sweet orange eo is a top note, does mixing it with the patch eo make it stronger or does it help last longer? Was this HP or CP?

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet orange eo is a top note, does mixing it with the patch eo make it stronger or does it help last longer? Was this HP or CP?
It is a cp soap and I find patch helps anchor. Most oranges will fade but then the patch is always in the background

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I would use citrus EO in CP, but pouring it down the drain is easier. ;)

Experimenting now to see if it's any better in HP, MP and LS.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Any update on your chicken fat soap? I have a nice fatty duck I want to use for soap.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any update on your chicken fat soap? I have a nice fatty duck I want to use for soap.
It turned out a very nice soap with no dos. The orange patchouli still smells good. Of course not strong but a very nice holding subtle scent.

Last edited:

Latest posts