Ukrainian Sunflower Oil Info

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagebrush

Reaction score
So, I buy my sunflower oil from European food stores here in the States and I'm trying to figure out if it's high-oleic or not. I read how you can tell if SO is high-oleic if the mono saturated fats are higher than the polyunsaturated fats, but the nutritions facts on the bottle only break the fats down into saturated and trans fats. My husband is a native Russian speaker and, at one point, I had him read the other writing on the bottle to see if there were any clues about oleic content, but there did not seem to be any.
I researched the brand a bit online and found that the type I use is unrefined (yay!), so that's good. The brand also has a refined deodorized option, so I'm glad I picked the right one :) The website also says that the unrefined oil has a long storage time and they state about 12 months, so I'm not sure if that's a clue at all to whether it's high-oleic or not. The brand is Dikanka (Диканька).
If anyone knows anything about this, I would appreciate any input.
Thanks! :)

Takes the same amount of lye per soapcalc. You can add .08% ROE in case it is non-hi-ole. Or just keep the amount of SO to <10%, which is a good idea anyway with either non or hi ole SO. HTH

Thanks, Nevada! I have noticed that changing from non to high-oleic on soap calc doesn't really change anything. And I usually keep the SO percentage under 10% anyway, and I don't notice any DOS or anything strange when I use it. I should probably invest in some ROE anyway one of these days.
I guess I mostly just want to know for the knowledge about a product I use :) Thanks for your help! :)

Back