Uh oh. What did i do wrong???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debikers

Reaction score
I am betting it wasn't insulated enough. The top and one side had this dreaded color to it after 2 days in the mold. 2 thickness of heavy cardboard and a towel folded twice over it and under it. Any thoughts?? Thank you in advance. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1452276834.080269.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1452276845.100528.jpg

What was your recipe? Was there anything different about the one side that discolored vs. the other side?

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1452278127.948131.jpg

Ok. After I cut it, I think it's the gold mica swirl I tried in it. As you can see, the gold is darker and it must have just come through the one side when I swirled it. False alarm. Does anyone know how I could get a real looking "gold vein" through a swirl??
Sorry. The blue divider was actually the bottom of my mold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really confused by your bottom picture, but perhaps I just need coffee.

If your gold doesn't look like you want, perhaps you can try putting your soap in the freezer or fridge next time to prevent gelling. It might make the gold look a little more gold.

I think it looks nice as is.

If you want what looks like gold veins you can carefully sprinkle mica powder between adding soap (like one does for a pencil line), or you can mix the mica with glycerin and splatter it about between layers.

Thanks everyone. I have never put soap in the fridge I have always wrapped it in blankets to keep it
Warm. I will have to try it
Though. That keeps it
From going through the gel phase right? That also makes the colors brighter. Should do one now, just to see the difference. Hmmmm.........
Seawolfe, if I dust it between layers, can I still swirl it, and will you still be able to see it? And I would also have to put it in the fridge too, to get a brighter color? Is that all right??

Last edited by a moderator:
Back