Ugh

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
I tossed together what was supposed to be a straightforward batch of confetti soap with tea tree for my mother last night. This should have been a cakewalk: no swirls just TiO2 in the oils, pussycat tea tree EO in the oils, fewer oils than I typically use. Should have been...

I got the oils measured and melted, additives in the water. Then I decided to try pouring my 50% lye pre-mix into that water instead of a separate container while measuring it. So it turns out this was a bad idea. The solution is so dense that it's easy to misjudge and I ended up 10g over my target of 300g. Can't take it out, don't want to toss it and start over.

So I played around with soapcalc a bit to find that 10g would decrease superfat from 5% to 0% - too low. Played around some more with increasing oils a bit until I found a combination that would work. Adding 25g more of safflower only (so I didn't have to melt hard oils again) got me down to ~2% superfat while only changing the overall oils proportions by about 2%. Considering that 1/3 of the mass is trimmings of 5% SF soaps, the overall effect should be fine. It will be soap.

And I didn't start this until after 9pm last night. What should have been 20 minutes total into the oven was more like 90.

The other aspect to keep in mind when you get into a sticky spot like this is the actual purity of the NaOH dissolved in your lye masterbatch isn't 100%. If the solid NaOH is 96% pure, for example, then a lye solution at a 50% concentration isn't actually 50% NaOH. It will be closer to one half the actual NaOH purity or 48%.

So your soap has another few percent of "hidden" superfat for insurance, exactly as if you'd used solid NaOH + water rather than a masterbatch.

I've had soaping experiences like yours -- sometimes Murphy just has to butt in and make my life miserable. o_O

Last edited:
The other aspect to keep in mind when you get into a sticky spot like this is the actual purity of the NaOH dissolved in your lye masterbatch isn't 100%. If the solid NaOH is 96% pure, for example, then a lye solution at a 50% concentration isn't actually 50% NaOH. It will be closer to one half the actual NaOH purity or 48%. So your soap probably has another few percent of "hidden" superfat for insurance.

I've had soaping experiences like yours -- sometimes Murphy just has to butt in and make my life miserable. o_O
Yep. I thought of that when deciding that 2% was "good enough"

Back