Ugh..weird spots on soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Cellador

Reaction score
As soon as I start selling, I run into all sorts of funky issues. Good learning experiences, I guess.
So, what are these brown spots?Overheating, maybe? I've had troubles gelling with my new molds, so I did CPOP it a little more than I have before. But, I baked some soaps last week (literally, I cooked them by accident), and they didn't get these spots.

It's my standard recipe that I've been using for over a year now. No new additives, besides the FO (rosemary mint from WSP).

Any ideas?

Attachments

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Almost looks like FO discoloration maybe. I had a batch do something strange a while back. I used two different greens in a white base and there was like a orange shadow around parts of it when cooled and cut. I didn't CPOP mine. Wait until you cut it and see how it is. I think sometimes soap just does strange things.

Cellador

Reaction score
Almost looks like FO discoloration maybe. I had a batch do something strange a while back. I used two different greens in a white base and there was like a orange shadow around parts of it when cooled and cut. I didn't CPOP mine. Wait until you cut it and see how it is. I think sometimes soap just does strange things.
Did your orange spots fade once it cooled? I noticed these soaps are still warm, so I'm letting them chill for awhile before I cut.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
No, they remained like halos around certain parts of the soap. It was really strange. It was a blend of FO's I hadn't used before but both had great reputations in soap. I would just let them be and see what happens.

Lin19687

Reaction score
I agree with Shunt, but don't think that FO would Discolor.
Wait and see but give it time to set up. Mayb even a bit longer in mold to be sure

Cellador

Reaction score
Just to add notes for future reference:

The orange/brown spots did disappear after another 24 hours. It does appear to be a reaction of the micas as the soap was going through the saponification process. The micas used were Enchanted Forest and Envy from Mad Micas.
:)