Ugh..Pine Tar Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7053joanne

Reaction score
Ok...so I decided to make a pine tar soap on Sunday. Yes it moved like lightning but I was ready for it. As I had found through my research approximately 20% of your total oil weight should be used for the pine tar to have max benefits. I cut it yesterday and it smells like it came from the bowels of hell! :twisted: Please someone tell me that the smell will fade. I cannot imagine washing myself with that horrible stuff.

Joanne

Hahah never heard it compared to the bowels of hell before ! Surely it doesn't smell like the contents of bowels ? Oh my ! I believe that pine tar is a love it or hate it smell, personally I love it.

However to address your current problem, it will over time 'mellow' a little but in my experience it does retain most of its piney characteristics. One remedy you can try, if you continue to absolutely hate your batch, is to rebatch and add another fragrance such as eucalyptus or maybe tea tree.

Forgot to add .....

20 % seems to be a high percentage to me. Due to it's rather viscous nature it is tricky to actually measure out but I estimate I would use about a third of that amount. I am getting very positive feedback and returning customers for my pine tar soap, I would go so far as to say 'clamouring'. So I would say it is still efficacious at that concentration.

I imagine yours is a lot stronger smelling than mine due to the higher concentration. Mind you I like to sniff the stuff raw in the container. (Hehe no glue sniffing for me - pass the pine tar )

Another possible remedy woud be to make another bacth of your base soap with no pine tar and combine the 2 ?

Yeah I made this for my sister who has psoriasis and I had read in several places that to be the most effective the concentrations should be up @20%. Which did seem like a lot to me so I used about 4 oz in a 1.5 pound batch which is more like 16%.

I guess I will wait and see how it smells. It's funny that you mentioned adding scents....I had just said that to my DH after he took a wiff.

I guess I am a pine tar hater. Maybe I could handle it in lower amounts. But I guess if it gives some comfort it would be worth it. Hopefully the smell doesn't linger on the skin.

Thanks
Joanne

7053joanne said:
Ok...so I decided to make a pine tar soap on Sunday. Yes it moved like lightning but I was ready for it. As I had found through my research approximately 20% of your total oil weight should be used for the pine tar to have max benefits. I cut it yesterday and it smells like it came from the bowels of hell! :twisted: Please someone tell me that the smell will fade. I cannot imagine washing myself with that horrible stuff.

Joanne

HAHAHAHAHA and what do the bowels of hell smell like there sweety??? :)

Is it more of a poopy scent, or is it like a burning fart smell?? Just curious :lol:

Haha.....you guys crack me up. I don't know if I can even explain it. It just smells NASTY to me :? . My whole soaping area stinks.......like something from.....yeah you know the rest :evil:

Joanne

dragonfly princess said:
Is it more of a poopy scent, or is it like a burning fart smell?? Just curious :lol:

I just spewed coffee everywhere. :lol: :lol: Thanks dragonfly, my screen needed to be cleaned.

I have read many times that the odor from unrefined shea dissipates after being on the skin. My hound dog nose still smells it. Then again, if my skin was itchy enough, I would not care if I smelled like a tar pit.

Joanne - next time open the windows and crank up the fans. Just don't make it in the winter. Or if company comes over, you could claim someone was lighting farts.............. :roll:

Digit

Back