Ugh, my soap is drying out my skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewDM

Reaction score
My handmade CP soap has been drying out my skin. I realized that I was using too much coconut oil (30%) so I reduced it to 20% but it is still drying out my skin. What oils should I add to address this problem? Should I reduce the coconut oil even more?

here is my current recipe:
30% Pomace Olive Oil
25% Palm oil
20% Coconut
10% Advocado
10% Shea butter
5% sunflower seed oil

I dont have an answer for you but ALL soap does this to me :(
believe it or not I dont actually use soap myself for this very reason.

What is your superfat and how long ago did you make the new soap? I have dry skin, use 20% coconut oil but I have to SF between 8% and 10%. I also have to let my soap cure for at least 2 months, longer is better.

You could always try another recipe, could be you are sensitive to coconut. Here is one I quite like

50% lard or palm
40% OO
10% coconut
SF 8%

Last edited:
I have lots of questions:

What is your superfat level? What is your water like? What did you use before soap? When you say drying out your skin, is it making your skin feel tight temporarily after you wash, irritated later on, or is it causing redness flaking or a rash over several uses? Do you use any fragrance in your soap? How long have you cured it for?

I use a far higher coconut oil soap (80%) and have no problem at all but generally have very sensitive skin. It's all dependent on your own preferences and results. It may not be the coconut oil specifically...you may be reacting to another ingredient.

Yes, questions...what superfat how long of a cure. Soap needs a good cure to become gentler and milder. I've made a 100% Coconut soap and it's not drying at all but it depends on the superfat etc. As previously stated it could be the fragrance your adding or perhaps your skin just doesn't like coconut. So, there are many variables that could be causing your issues. You may need to try a bastille or castile without coconut oil and see how that works.

1. I superfat with 3% shea butter at light trace
2. I use goat's milk instead of water
3. Before soap I used old spice body wash
4. My skin actually feels fine, not irritated at all but is ashy after I dry off after the shower
5. it cured for about 18 days before I used it

What is your superfat level? What is your water like? What did you use before soap? When you say drying out your skin, is it making your skin feel tight temporarily after you wash, irritated later on, or is it causing redness flaking or a rash over several uses? Do you use any fragrance in your soap? How long have you cured it for?

I use a far higher coconut oil soap (80%) and have no problem at all but generally have very sensitive skin. It's all dependent on your own preferences and results. It may not be the coconut oil specifically...you may be reacting to another ingredient.

Oh and, I did not use any colorants, fragrances or EO.

I only let it cure for 18 days... I am starting to think after seeing peoples responses that this could be the culprit.

Yes, questions...what superfat how long of a cure. Soap needs a good cure to become gentler and milder. I've made a 100% Coconut soap and it's not drying at all but it depends on the superfat etc. As previously stated it could be the fragrance your adding or perhaps your skin just doesn't like coconut. So, there are many variables that could be causing your issues. You may need to try a bastille or castile without coconut oil and see how that works.

I would try to make a castile or bastile soap using goat's milk or/and aloe vera juice as liquid. I would also cure it for 4 ~ 6 months. It did wonders for some of my friends who have dry skin.

Yeah, its most likely that the lack of a cure is the problem. Try your soap again at 4 weeks, then at 6 and again at 8. Next batch, raise your SF to at least 5%.

1. I superfat with 3% shea butter at light trace
2. I use goat's milk instead of water
3. Before soap I used old spice body wash
4. My skin actually feels fine, not irritated at all but is ashy after I dry off after the shower
5. it cured for about 18 days before I used it

I personally dislike shea in soap, but that's just me.
You can't choose your superfat oil unless you HP. Lye will not leave one oil alone just because you intended it to superfat.
I personally would die of itchy skin and fragrance overload if I used old spice body wash, just saying to illustrate the individual differences! ;)
I don't really know much about the term "ashy" but if it feels fine, why do you think it is dry?
18 days is a fairly short cure, but I have used soap younger than that with no problem. It definitely improves with longer cure, but it may be a factor for you.

3% superfat may not be enough for your skin. I superfat at 7%. Also, you can add all your oils and butters together. Unless your doing HP there is no guarantee the Shea is what's going to be your superfat as the lye takes what it wants. Using GM will up your superfat some. I would start with just letting it cure 4-6 weeks and try it again.

another thought: sometimes if I change what I use on my skin, I find I need to exfoliate, because it almost seems like the new product changes things enough that my skin's outer layer of cells comes off. Not in a bad way, just like the dead skin that got "used to" the old product comes off with the new product. Generally I just rub off that layer, and it's fine. Could that be part of the "ashy" effect?

Also, if you have hard water, it could be leaving a film on your skin as the soap mixes with the minerals in the water. Do you get much soap "scum" in the tub?

Are you sure it's the soap that's causing the ash? Or is it the body wash AND the soap together? Honestly, washing up with 2 separate products seems like waaaaay overkill to me -- one or t'other, but not both. As far as the ash, I agree with CanaDawn -- you might need to exfoliate. Not sure where you are located, but the heat and humidity are dropping here in Iowa as fall comes on. The simple change of seasons also affects the appearance of the skin.

My handmade CP soap has been drying out my skin. I realized that I was using too much coconut oil (30%) so I reduced it to 20% but it is still drying out my skin. What oils should I add to address this problem? Should I reduce the coconut oil even more?

here is my current recipe:
30% Pomace Olive Oil
25% Palm
20% Coconut
10% Advocado
10% Shea butter:wink:
5% sunflower seed oil

Ok. So I'm new, green new, but I've studied a ton load for a couple months before diving in. I'll do my best to help. So from my experience, 20% co can be drying to some, and definitely can be drying to many at such a low superfat. Second, palm is a hard oil with NOT an awesome conditioning number. It's hard, low on cleansing at a 1 (@ 100% usage), BUT also 49 on conditioning factor (@ 100% usage). My overall conditioning I try to keep at a 58ish total conditioning at the lowest; if using tallow, and if palm/animal fat free appx a 60 plus on conditioning. You are currently at a 56/conditioning and 14 cleansing with avocado butter, and 58/conditioning with 14 cleansing if using avocado oil EDIT, you said avocado but I don't see if it was oil or butter.....end EDIT hehe.(if I did that correctly....my arm brace is on and I'm typing on a screen the size of a gnat :-/ makes it hard to maintain accuracy lol!). I'd raise the conditioning to appx 60 and keep cleansing where you're at now.

finally, I've read pomace olive traces faster than regular... and though the numbers look the same, I can only assume the qualities felt are different. I'd stick to regular ole olive.
:)

So. I'll offer my "green experience" opinion...

Superfat it's above and beyond what you leave on your skin in way of un saponified oils. You sap the oils and fat with lye, and excess gets left behind to moisturize. You're leaving 3%, and the basic recipes for beginners recommend 5%, and finally I've found between 7-9% rocks on silkiness. If using goat milk, try 7% superfat at the least if you're dry, and the goats milk will raise it to almost 8% because of the fats in milk being saponified. Just a suggestion :)

second, yes!!! You can't add anything at trace for superfatting because lye take what lye wants and it continues to do this for at least 24 hrs, and up to 72+ hrs. If you try to superfat at trace, it means nothing for the lye is still active. lick the batter at trace and see if you get zapped :-/ if you do, it's active and is taking what it wants when it wants...lol. (no don't really do that. It'll probably hurt. A lot. Bad.) So superfat by adding into the lye calc, but don't assume the Shea or the xyz butter is what superfatted your batch. It will wind up a combo of things.

Third, I'd offer advice as to lowering the palm some, leaving the co at 18- 20% and upping the superfat to 7-8%. I'd say keep conditioning to 58-62 and cleansing to 12-14 since you're dried out, and adjust within these ranges. I'd keep Shea, maybe try tallow in place of palm (up to 30-40% tallow, or palm to 15-20% tops), and consider adding rice bran oil or sweet almond. Both have a better shelf life than sunflower and are very conditioning. I think my fave oil, so far, is sweet almond. Love it!!

Rambled I fear, so apologies!! Good luck with it!

Are you sure it's the soap that's causing the ash? Or is it the body wash AND the soap together? Honestly, washing up with 2 separate products seems like waaaaay overkill to me -- one or t'other, but not both.

I asked what he has used in the past, before he used soap, and that's where the wash came into the discussion. My question was to see what the skin was "used to" being washed with, and how things felt with the previous products. I see where it was a bit confusing.

Exactly
I asked what he has used in the past, before he used soap, and that's where the wash came into the discussion. My question was to see what the skin was "used to" being washed with, and how things felt with the previous products. I see where it was a bit confusing.

Back