Ugh, could baking soda be the culprit?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serfmunke

Reaction score
Hey All, I posted a bit ago about my tallow soaps being amazing then all of a sudden, out of the blue, my recipe had an issue, turning into mashed potatoes almost immediately upon adding my lye. I also noticed a lot of water in the molds. I've been searching the internet for any idea why this is happening and I think I just figured it out. I added, too much, baking soda to my tallow in an attempt to diminish the tallow smell. Of course when I dumped the carton over a lot poured into my tallow. I didn't think anything of it. I wonder if I can strain it out or did it dissolve in the tallow?

Anyone think this sounds like a good explanation of my recent soaping woes?

Boil it for 20 minutes in 4x it's volume of water, change the water, and boil again. That should remove the majority of the baking soda. You could also add a few tablespoons of vinegar to the second boil.

I use activated charcoal granules in my second boil to deodorize my tallow (check your local fish store). Also removing as much meat before rendering it low and slow in a crock pot helps to avoid generating a lot of odor in the first place. Good luck!

Are you sure you add enough lye?
and-or that you blend and mix for enough time?
It's an HP or CP?

Last edited:
Back