Types of oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessCharli

Reaction score
Am I able to just use a vegetable oil? (cooking oil)
Pros and cons of using vegetable oil vs an olive oil?

Just on it's own, with no other oils? Or as a replacement for olive in a mixed recipe?

As a replacement, you just have to find the right oil. HO sunflower, for example, is well liked by many. That said, I'm not sure what kind of soap would come from a 100% HO sunflower oil recipe

Just on it's own, with no other oils? Or as a replacement for olive in a mixed recipe?

As a replacement, you just have to find the right oil. HO sunflower, for example, is well liked by many. That said, I'm not sure what kind of soap would come from a 100% HO sunflower oil recipe

I would say as a replacement. I use olive oil and coconut oil at the moment (just getting a base recipe) and olive oil is rather expensive so I was thinking if I could use a cheaper oil such as vegetable over using olive oil and still have the same quality soap?

I agree with TEG. Sunflower or Safflower HO works nicely in soap. Vegetable oil, depends on what it's made of. Canola can be used in small amounts. I would just be concerned about getting DOS on my soaps not using a more stable oil.

Just in case you mean those bottles just labelled "vegetable oil" those are usually a blend of various oils, unless you know the percentage of each in it, you won't be able to figure out the correct SAP value

When I look at the labels for oils to see what's really in them. Often for 'vegetable' oil, the label lists Soybean oil as either the main or only ingredient. Not only does this effect the amount of lye needed to saponify the oils in a given recipe, it also has an extremely short shelf life, meaning it can get rancid very quickly. Rancidity in soap oils means rancidity in soap is highly probable. It doesn't always happen, but rancid soap is super disgusting, smells horrible as it spreads within the soap and unless the person wants to smell like rancid oils, no one is going to want to bathe with it, let alone walk into a room with that soap in the soap dish. I know I am talking extremes here, but it can happen and it's just awful. That's one reason many soapers use no soy or only small percentages of soy in their soap formulas. Some like it very much and don't have issues, but they know each oil and specify them as such in their lye calcuators, so it's not a guessing game when it comes to weighing out the lye.

It's really best to KNOW each your oils so you can use the correct amount of lye to saponify each specific oil in your recipe. If you use unknown oils in soap, you are playing a guessing game with the lye and that can be a dangerous game.

Most safflower is high oleic, and actually has a larger percentage of oleic than does actual olive oil. I've switched to safflower completely as a replacement for olive.

Depending on where you live, the LouAna brand of safflower sold at Walmart is HO and cheaper than the cheapest olive I've ever seen. If you're looking at another brand, check the nutrition label and divide the grams of monounsat fat by the total fat to get a percentage. Anything over 70% is HO.

Am I able to just use a vegetable oil? (cooking oil)
Pros and cons of using vegetable oil vs an olive oil?

I started a thread a while back, that I found to be very informative. You should read though it. I have trouble finding it with the new layout, but I will post it later.
The title was something like: do you hate any oils in particular?

I also posted this link a while back, that will tell you the properties of each of the oils.
https://www.thespruce.com/qualities-of-soap-making-oils-517120

I also posted this link a while back, that will tell you the properties of each of the oils.
With the exception of a few quibbles, I agree with most of that link.

However, you should be aware that the safflower oil described there is NOT high-oleic and the characteristics described do not apply to high -oleic safflower. Since almost all growers (at least in North America) are now choosing to grow high-oleic varieties of the seed, most every safflower oil you buy will be HO with characteristics similar to olive oil.

I started a thread a while back, that I found to be very informative. You should read though it. I have trouble finding it with the new layout, but I will post it later.

Ok, Finally found it. Is a good read when you have time!

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/do-you-hate-any-oil-in-particular.63682/

Very helpful article. Thank you! One question--you mention that some types of sunflower oil should be combined with rosemary oleoresin, but how do you know which needs that additive and which won't need it?

One question--you mention that some types of sunflower oil should be combined with rosemary oleoresin, but how do you know which needs that additive and which won't need it?
ROE (Rosemary Oleoresin Extract) is an antioxidant that I add to my oils when they are first opened to extend shelf life. Most soap making suppliers carry it. It isn't necessary. Many soapers don't bother with it but it is reassuring to have it available to prevent DOS (Dreaded Orange Spots).

To answer your question, less stable oils that have a shelf life of less than a year might benefit from the addition of ROE. Olive oil and other HO (High Oleic) oils that have a shelf life of more than a year are less likely to go off.

ROE (Rosemary Oleoresin Extract) is an antioxidant that I add to my oils when they are first opened to extend shelf life. Most soap making suppliers carry it. It isn't necessary. Many soapers don't bother with it but it is reassuring to have it available to prevent DOS (Dreaded Orange Spots).

To answer your question, less stable oils that have a shelf life of less than a year might benefit from the addition of ROE. Olive oil and other HO (High Oleic) oils that have a shelf life of more than a year are less likely to go off.

Thanks--that helps!

Latest posts

Back