types of oils used vs. difficulty in unmolding?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celticjanis

Reaction score
Hi. It's me again.
Does anybody know if certain types of oils make it easier or harder to unmold soaps?
I changed my oil mix to:
25 oz. olive oil (I use extra virgin)
4 oz. castor
17 oz. palm
22 oz. tallow
17 oz. coconut

now it can't release them from the individual molds after 24 hours nor 48 hours!!! I'd rather not have to use the freezer since there are so many trays of soaps. I've never had that problem before.....
Does coconut oil make it more difficult to unmold? Or does too much olive oil effect unmolding?
Any input? Thoughts? Experience?
Thanks again.

Cant comment on the recipe but are you using hard plastic moulds or silicone?

I know I have given up with the plastic ones as I have trouble with them no matter what product I try and make. I only use silicone now.

I think its more about soaping and resting temperature, water amount and whether or not you gelled. I had one loaf that was full water and I didn't gel and it was 5 days before I could unmold it!
For individual molds, I don't think there's any harm in just leaving them until they are ready.

LilyLo: please do comment on the recipe if you'd like.

I use milky way individual small PLASTIC molds. trays of three.
The soaps themselves are approx 4.5 ounces,
Does the amount of olive oil (and type) help or hinder unmolding? What about coconut?

Recipes high in olive oil can definitely take longer to set up. The amount of water you used also plays a large role.

I let my bastille soap (75% OO) rest in the mold for about 3-4 days, then when it finally seemed firm enough, I popped it into the freezer for half an hour then unmolded and it came out perfectly.

I think that a harder bar is much easier to unmold than one that is high in softer oils. Castile soap doesn't get hard as quickly as a bar with a lot of coconut or palm kernel oil in it. The type of mold you are using also has a lot to do with the soap sticking. IMO, a mold lined with freezer paper or a silicone mold should release easier than an acrylic or plastic mold. If you are using a silicone mold and it sticks, try putting the soap filled mold in the freezer for several hours before unmolding. Plastic molds are OK for M&P soap, but not so great for CP soap in regard to sticking.

If you leave it alone long enough and do the freezer method, you should be able to avoid any sticking and get a clean unmold. Now, I haven't worked with plastic molds before, but this method works great for silicone. But I don't see why it wouldn't work with plastic. Just don't bend the mold fresh out of the freezer as it might break. I'd just try using some sort of little tool to gently coax the soaps out. Or even just give it a good thwack upside down on a table.

Sodium lactate (1 tsp PPO) can also greatly speed up bar hardening and help with smooth unmolding.

https://www.soapqueen.com/bramble-berry-news/sunday-night-spotlight-sodium-lactate/

The more hard oils/butters used will make a difference in how easily your soap will unmold. High liquid oils will make it very difficult. Also, how much water/milk you are using will make a difference. I tried using plastic molds and it was a huge no go for me. Even with high hard oils if the design was intricate the soap would stick. It's also darn near impossible to get the soap to gel in the plastic molds. I've had soap take a week or more to get out. Even with using mineral oil to grease the mold. Personally, not worth the hassle. I make too much soap to be bothered. I much prefer silicone over anything else. I now use my plastic molds for bath fizzies.

If you leave it alone long enough and do the freezer method, you should be able to avoid any sticking and get a clean unmold. Now, I haven't worked with plastic molds before, but this method works great for silicone. But I don't see why it wouldn't work with plastic. Just don't bend the mold fresh out of the freezer as it might break. I'd just try using some sort of little tool to gently coax the soaps out. Or even just give it a good thwack upside down on a table.

Sodium lactate (1 tsp PPO) can also greatly speed up bar hardening and help with smooth unmolding.

https://www.soapqueen.com/bramble-berry-news/sunday-night-spotlight-sodium-lactate/
But freezing Milky Way mold can cause them to crack. They need to thaw out some, but just the moisture will usually let them come out unless they are very intricate molds. I find Pam sprayed well in the individual cavities works wonders as a release agent. I have a few foot scrubby soaps that I always use with a Milky Way mold. Over time they will crack, but mine work well for my particular foot scrubby so I do not change, just replace them when they crack. My recipe when using these molds does not contain Olive Oil

But freezing Milky Way mold can cause them to crack. They need to thaw out some, but just the moisture will usually let them come out unless they are very intricate molds. I find Pam sprayed well in the individual cavities works wonders as a release agent. I have a few foot scrubby soaps that I always use with a Milky Way mold. Over time they will crack, but mine work well for my particular foot scrubby so I do not change, just replace them when they crack. My recipe when using these molds does not contain Olive Oil

Good to know, thanks for the correction! I haven't worked with Milky Way molds before.

celticjanis, I've been making a ton of soap recently using these Milky Way molds:
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/fleur-de-lis-milky-way-soap-mold-tray.aspx
Your recipe will definitely make a difference in how easy they pop out of the mold! This one works best for me, and is also great for fast-moving FO's:
75% Lard
20% Coconut oil
5% Castor oil
I use a paper towel (and Q-tips for the detailed areas) to very lightly coat the molds with mineral oil, and they pop out like a dream after 24 hours! No freezing involved :)
This recipe makes a great soap!! If I recall correctly, I have Susie to thank for sharing this one!

celticjanis, I've been making a ton of soap recently using these Milky Way molds:
Milky Way™ Fleur de Lis Soap Mold Tray (MW 12) - Wholesale Supplies Plus
Your recipe will definitely make a difference in how easy they pop out of the mold! This one works best for me, and is also great for fast-moving FO's:
75% Lard
20% Coconut oil
5% Castor oil
I use a paper towel (and Q-tips for the detailed areas) to very lightly coat the molds with mineral oil, and they pop out like a dream after 24 hours! No freezing involved :)
This recipe makes a great soap!! If I recall correctly, I have Susie to thank for sharing this one!
Hi do you mean johnson baby oil? Thx

Back