Types of Lye and have you purchased from Lenmans

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CathyB

Reaction score
My first bottle of lye was Red Crown, and when I tried to replace it, I couldn't find it so I purchased Belle Chemical. I've found the BC to get much more airborne when I measure it out, so I would like to find something else (I do wear a mask, but not a serious filtering one.)

I've found there are beads and flakes in addition to plain old granules. Flakes worry me because of potential static electricity--I live in a very low humidity climate, and beads seem to be a bit pricy when shipping is added. But I don't want to breathe in Lye.

What is the safest to use?

Second, I found what looks like a reasonable price, and great shipping, from Lehman's Sodium Hydroxide for Soapmaking

Anyone use them for their lye source?

TIA.

Cathy

I’ve used flakes and beads. They both perform well. I was buying the flakes in 50 lb bags and transferring them into 2 lb containers. I prefer the beads for ease. I’ve never heard of that company. I generally get mine from Essential Depot in a Florida. Shipping is pricey but they run great deals so it’s easier for me.

Latest posts

Back