Type of thermometer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soaper987

Reaction score
I am new to soap making and was planning on making my first batch of soap today when I realized the candy thermometer I bought may not be made of stainless steel. I dont believe it's made of stainless steel as there is no mention of stainless steel on the package or the online description of the product but it doesn't say what else it could be made of either. Does it matter if the thermometer is not stainless steel? Will it react with the lye solution if it's not 100% stainless steel? It is also not digital but I live in a small town in the middle of no where so there wasnt much for options. Does anyone have experience using a basic candy thermometer with soaping? Did it work fine for you?

If you want to measure your temps, I wouldn't use anything but S/S and as you don't what it is, I wouldn't use it.

You actually, don't need a thermometer, just make up your lye and let it cool. Then, melt your solid oils and add them to your liquid ones, then add your lye. It's that easy, no measuring of temps needed.
Have a read of these forum links
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/cp-does-temperature-matter-lye-oils.69041/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/room-temperature-method.71987/#post-725332
Also type in the search engine RTCP and lot's of threads come up for you to read.

I use thermometers or rather, I have an infrared thermometer. I use it if I do not feel like chilling milk for a soap and to make sure my oils are not hotter than 110F, if I use a crockpot. I also use it to help check to see if my lye water is dissolved if I am mixing coffee or other liquid that isn't clear. You don't have to use a thermometer but if you do, I would use an infrared one.

I have an infrared thermometer as well. However, I rarely use it as my lye is generally room temperature. So, like above, I just melt my butters and CO then add my liquid oils to it. The container is just warm to the touch. I then add my lye and off I go.

I masterbatch both my oils and my lye, so I never use a thermometer. In the winter my oils are on the slushi or just harder than slushi, so I put them in the microwave for about a minute (until the oils are just past the cloudiness of being melted) which makes them slightly lukewarm to the touch and then soap as normal.
Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

I masterbatch both my oils and my lye, so I never use a thermometer. In the winter my oils are on the slushi or just harder than slushi, so I put them in the microwave for about a minute (until the oils are just past the cloudiness of being melted) which makes them slightly lukewarm to the touch and then soap as normal.
Sorry I couldn't have been more help.
When you say "master batch" do you mean that you mix different combinations of oil ahead of time for use later? If so that sounds like a great idea.

When you say "master batch" do you mean that you mix different combinations of oil ahead of time for use later? If so that sounds like a great idea.
Yes, I make my standard recipe in 200lb increments. At time of soaping, I scoop out the desired batch size of oils I will need (Typically I make 3-5lb batches) Same with my lye solution. I make a 12lb batch of 50/50 solution at a time (50% lye:50% liquid).

At time of soaping I only have 4 things to weigh - my masterbatched oils, my masterbatched lye, my extra liquid to make the lye solution the concentration I want it, and my fragrance. Makes my soap sessions go much quicker than it ever used too, and there is no "waiting around" for my lye to cool enough to soap with.

Yes, I make my standard recipe in 200lb increments. At time of soaping, I scoop out the desired batch size of oils I will need (Typically I make 3-5lb batches) Same with my lye solution. I make a 12lb batch of 50/50 solution at a time (50% lye:50% liquid).

At time of soaping I only have 4 things to weigh - my masterbatched oils, my masterbatched lye, my extra liquid to make the lye solution the concentration I want it, and my fragrance. Makes my soap sessions go much quicker than it ever used too, and there is no "waiting around" for my lye to cool enough to soap with.
That is awesome, thanks for the advice.

I am new to soap making and was planning on making my first batch of soap today when I realized the candy thermometer I bought may not be made of stainless steel. I dont believe it's made of stainless steel as there is no mention of stainless steel on the package or the online description of the product but it doesn't say what else it could be made of either. Does it matter if the thermometer is not stainless steel? Will it react with the lye solution if it's not 100% stainless steel? It is also not digital but I live in a small town in the middle of no where so there wasnt much for options. Does anyone have experience using a basic candy thermometer with soaping? Did it work fine for you?

It’s most likely stainless steel. I started with a cheap ‘no name’ brand and had no issues. Digital thermometers are fairly cheap on Amazon, I like mine.

Latest posts

Back