type of soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I have my first craft fair in August and am trying to get things organized.
I am wondering if solid colored, nicely scented soaps sell just as well as designed scented soap? I have a few unscented, uncolored and the rest is scented and designed. I am wondering if I should concentrate on some solid colored scented soaps now? what have you guys that sell noticed (I suppose it all depends on the fair) and for the ones who don't sell what would you buy at a fair?

I can honestly say that the fragrance is what sells it first, then the colors. Mine are all swirled for the most part, I have an unscented, uncolored and an unscented colored. My salt bars are all single colored from individual molds.

thanks!!

Mine sell solely based on scent. My lilac soap is solid purple (although this year I did use uncolored batter with an impression mat to create a lace look on top, but the soap is still solid purple) and that sells out faster than I can restock it.

I agree that scent is what sells. However, what will your display look like and how will you present your soap? Could the look of your bars make your booth display better or not? I display naked bars on a stand next to wrapped bars and have watched people walk up to a specific soap based on its look. Last year a nice solid bright turquoise did that and a bright ultramarine swirled white soap always does it. So, it isn't exactly the swirls but the overall look., especially a striking color or contrast noticeable from a distance. Once at the booth, fragrance wins.

For me, scent is what pulls them in, but it's my brightly colored swirled soaps that sell. If I have solid colored bars they need some sort of embed or something to jazz it up or people just do not buy. At least not in my market. And that's why I make the really bright, swirled fun soaps I do. It's what the market I sell to likes the best.

For me, scent is what pulls them in, but it's my brightly colored swirled soaps that sell. If I have solid colored bars they need some sort of embed or something to jazz it up or people just do not buy. At least not in my market. And that's why I make the really bright, swirled fun soaps I do. It's what the market I sell to likes the best.
Show off
LOL

At my market, scent sells, but if people are looking online, they like pretty. I have a batch that I hate because I messed up on it and had some nice colors, kinda swirled, but hot process. I had it all done, but then noticed I forgot the fragrance, dumped it in the pot, mixed it up, looked like red orange and green vomit, stuffed it back in the mold. Didn't come out looking any better. But it's a big seller because people like the smell (apple orchard).

At my market, scent sells, but if people are looking online, they like pretty. I have a batch that I hate because I messed up on it and had some nice colors, kinda swirled, but hot process. I had it all done, but then noticed I forgot the fragrance, dumped it in the pot, mixed it up, looked like red orange and green vomit, stuffed it back in the mold. Didn't come out looking any better. But it's a big seller because people like the smell (apple orchard).

Scent is what people love...they are drawn to the table by the lovely smells wafting their way, then its scent first at my market. The only thing I have found that people dont seem to care for at all are soaps with herbs or flowers mixed in the soap--on top is acceptable.

It's going to really depend on your customer base. At some markets people prefer fragrance. For me citrus soaps are popular. However, my best selling soap is my unscented goat milk with oatmeal. I make soaps with fo, eo, milks, vegan and animal based just to try and have a variety. :)

My customer base is scent based. In fact you would be surprised how many pick up my pine soap decks and smell them, I just try to tell them before they sniff that they are soap decks to help alleviate embarrassment. :lol:. I cannot sell decorative soaps and a smidgen of customers buy for color.

I think presentation and how the soaps displayed are more important, whether scented or not. Packaging, also, draws eyes.

Latest posts

Back