Type of plastic for lye???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsHarryWinston

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Tomorrow is going to be my first attempt at soap but I have a problem. I can't find any polypropylene (#5) bowls ANYWHERE locally. I found some online but they won't get here for another two weeks. Is this the only safe plastic to use? Can I use other plastic? If I can find any other plastic bowls is that ok? I saw someone say they just use bowls they found at the dollar store. And what about stainless steel. Is it safe to blend soap in a stainless steel bowl so long as I'm sure it's stainless steel? (Their labels in the store say stainless steel).
Ugh, so frustrating.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

#2 plastic is also safe, thats what you will likely find at the dollar store and its what I've been using for over 2 years. Stainless steel is also safe but if you can find a plastic mixing bowl with a handle and spout, it will be easier to use. For bigger batches, I get small buckets from the donut counter at the local grocery store.

Thanks guys. I don't have a car at the moment so I'm kind of limited in my running around and hunting. I think I'll go with stainless steel for now and then order my #5 online. I found these great pouring jugs in multiple volumes on Amazon. Right now my batches are only 1lb while I learn.

Woooooo! Just got back from the store and scored some #5 Rubbermaid! Got some full silicone spoons, spatula and whisk. And a new stick blender that I've named Black Betty. Lol. Cause she's black.

Latest posts

Back