type of mold to choose

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalpanaganesan

Reaction score
i read that choosing wooden mold will help to unmould faster.second best is silicone mold and plastic takes a lot of time.as a beginner i used carton box and used a garbage cover like polythene to cover the carton box and used it as a mould.i greased the polythene mold with oil before pouring my soap for setting.can i use a plastic tray and use a garbage cover like stuff and make it a mold

i read that choosing wooden mold will help to unmould faster.second best is silicone mold and plastic takes a lot of time.as a beginner i used carton box and used a garbage cover like polythene to cover the carton box and used it as a mould.i greased the polythene mold with oil before pouring my soap for setting.can i use a plastic tray and use a garbage cover like stuff and make it a mold
Unmolding time is more dependent on if the soap gels or not moreso than the mold itself.
Soaps will gel easier in a lined wooden mold than silicone or plastic. Silicone has more give and is easier to unmold than plastic, but if it doesn't gel can take longer to be firm enough to take out of the mold.
Also oils used can also play a part as it does take some oils longer to saponify and harden than other oils.

To answer your question if you can use a plastic tray, with a cover, yes you can, but it make take a while to firm up before removing.

Silicone lined wooden molds are my favorite. Lining a cardboard box with freezer paper or even a garbage bag works well as a beginner. Plastic can be a bit more challenging. May have to place in the freezer for a bit to get it out.

Thanks for your reply and do you mean i can use a plastic tray lined with freezer paper and keep the tray in the freezer.Do i have to cover the same with a cloth or freezer paper before putting in the freezer

No, you can use a cardboard box, line with either a trash bag or freezer paper to keep the soap from saturating the box and makes it easy to umold. Plastic containers are harder to get the soap out of. Popping it in the freezer makes getting it out easier.

No, you can use a cardboard box, line with either a trash bag or freezer paper to keep the soap from saturating the box and makes it easy to umold. Plastic containers are harder to get the soap out of. Popping it in the freezer makes getting it out easier.
Thanks a lot

Latest posts

Back