Two recipes to share: face lotion and body cream with AHA

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adelej

Reaction score
Hi folks! Haven't crafted in the kitchen for a while but now that the holidays are done with I can get back to it!

Last night I made a beautiful light face lotion with natural AHA (Multifruit BSC) and a thick creamy body lotion with Lactic Acid (AHA). I used both this morning and they are decadent, my skin is super soft and neither left me feeling greasy.

I have to credit swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com as a starting point for all my lotions and everything I've learned about making them. I highly recommend her Lotion 101 book as it is simply a WEALTH of information. This woman knows her stuff, and she is a great teacher.

Enjoy!

Mild AHA Face lotion - made 12 oz
As I was adding a few extra ingredients, my percentages added up to over 100% but I'm ok with that.

Water Phase:
48% water (144g plus top up after heating)
15% aloe gel (45g)
15% neroli hydrosol (45g)
2% sodium lactate (6g)
2% hydrolyzed oat protein (I use Cromoist) (6g)

Oil Phase:
8% oils- I used 4% Jojoba, 2% Seabuckthorn, 2% Macadamia (24g)
1/2 small pipette of vitamin E oil
4% Polawax (12g)
1% Cetyl Alcohol (3g)

Cool Phase:
2% Panthenol (6g)
3% Multifruit BSC (9g)
2% Acai Botanical Pure Extact (6g)
2 pipettes of liquid germall plus (rounded up to roughly 3ml I probably added a tad too much)
0.5% honeysuckle powdered extract (1 tsp)
3 drops Jasmine essential oil

Result:
A light, soft lotion with a pale yellow tinge. Smell is very mild and earthy. Soaks in completely, feels lovely. I was scared using Polawax was going to make it feel waxy but it didn't at all. I would normally use BTMS-50 cause I love the stuff, but apparently it doesn't play well with Multifruit BSC. And FYI I have slightly dry (am) to oily (pm) sensitive skin prone to some acne. I have been using my own face lotion for a while but figured I needed something with AHA to get my skin a little more refreshed. I started this at 3% Multifruit, although apparently you can go all the way up to 10- figured starting milder would be safer.

Camellia and Cocoa Butter Body Lotion/Cream - makes about 18oz

Water Phase:
74g water
28g aloe (I ran out!)
90g rosemary hydrosol (to make up for the missing aloe)
12g hydrolyzed oat protein

Oil Phase:
60g Camellia oil
13g Rosehip oil
17g Avocado oil
30g Cocoa butter
30g Polawax
18g cetyl alcohol
1 pipette Vit. E (about 1.5 ml)

Cool Phase:
13g Silk Amino Acid
18g Honeyquat
12g Panthenol
18g AHA Lactic Acid
12g Cyclomethicone
2.5 ml Liquid Germall Plus
8 ml of Mango scented fragrance oil
3 drops Jasmine Essential Oil

Result:
Really thick, creamy, luscious cream (pump-able but thick). Surprisingly even with all the cocoa butter it isn't greasy. It really soaks in well. My skin feels lovely- and I even managed to put jeans on within 5 minutes of applying it. The only change I would make is to find a way to add more scent or use a scent with a little more staying power. This isn't the cheapest lotion to make, but as I am so finnicky about what I do use, I don't mind paying a few extra bucks for some choice ingredients. A side note: I wouldn't apply this anywhere one is prone to acne. Between the rosehip and cocoa butter, this could make acne issues worse. Great for arms and legs though!!

Last mention- and a thank you- to Susan Barclay.
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/

Thank you for sharing! :)

I completely agree- Swift's blog is amazing. I can't say enough good things about her. She's a wonderful, kind, and generous person. And yes- she sure knows her stuff!

IrishLass :)

These look lovely, how nice of you to share.

And yes, Swift is a goddess. So knowledgeable and generous. I'd not have had the courage to begin formulating without her wonderful blog and ebooks.

Re: Two recipes to share: face lotion and body cream with A

Thanks for sharing! This is a great recipe!
Last Month we made a body cream using the fruit mix (Multifruit BSC) and you are correct, It does leave you silky smooth!

Thank you,
Maggie

Where do you find this multifruit?
I'm working on lotions. But most of the ingredients are not local.

Thank you. I will still check them out. May can find it in the US as well. But this is a start. Thank you for getting back to me.

Back