Two questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doutor2

Reaction score
Hello,

I think my soap vanishes quicker than regular soaps and I don't know why because soap calculator says my hardness and Iodine are fine and I wait about 4 weeks for my soap to mature.

By the way, my recipe is: 400g coconut oil; 400g sunflower oil (non oleic).

Other question:
Is there a problem if I add Aloe Vera gel? Is there a skin benefit gain?

Thanks guys ;)

First of all, coconut makes a hard bar, but it dissolves quickly. Try making a bar with lard/tallow/palm for longer lasting harness.

50% lard/tallow/palm
20% coconut
25% sunflower/olive/avocado
5% castor

This makes for a hard well rounded bar. The qualities that you see on soap calc don't necessarily match up with real world usage. Also, for most people 50% coconut is too much without a high superfat. Most people stick to 20% or less unless making a salt bar. I would also cure for longer than 4 weeks if possible. While the soap will be perfectly safe and usable if it doesn't zap, it is not at it's best. Most soap recipes really do benefit from an 8-12 week cure, some as much as a year.

You can use aloe vera gel, just use the amount you would like in place of some or all of the water. I haven't tried aloe myself, but do know it can be done.

You can use aloe, yes absolutely, however IME it causes ash if that bothers you.

Here is a recipe that should give you a hard bard with lots of creamy lather. Adding sodium lactate (up to 3% of the weight of other fats and oils), to your lye water will help with hardness of bar and give you more bubbles.

20% coconut
20% palm
15% cocoa butter
6% Castor oil
39% avocado

Back