Two questions

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Doutor2

Reaction score
Hello,

I think my soap vanishes quicker than regular soaps and I don't know why because soap calculator says my hardness and Iodine are fine and I wait about 4 weeks for my soap to mature.

By the way, my recipe is: 400g coconut oil; 400g sunflower oil (non oleic).

Other question:
Is there a problem if I add Aloe Vera gel? Is there a skin benefit gain?

Thanks guys ;)

mx6inpenn

Reaction score
First of all, coconut makes a hard bar, but it dissolves quickly. Try making a bar with lard/tallow/palm for longer lasting harness.

50% lard/tallow/palm
20% coconut
25% sunflower/olive/avocado
5% castor

This makes for a hard well rounded bar. The qualities that you see on soap calc don't necessarily match up with real world usage. Also, for most people 50% coconut is too much without a high superfat. Most people stick to 20% or less unless making a salt bar. I would also cure for longer than 4 weeks if possible. While the soap will be perfectly safe and usable if it doesn't zap, it is not at it's best. Most soap recipes really do benefit from an 8-12 week cure, some as much as a year.

You can use aloe vera gel, just use the amount you would like in place of some or all of the water. I haven't tried aloe myself, but do know it can be done.

maya

Reaction score
You can use aloe, yes absolutely, however IME it causes ash if that bothers you.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
IMO, 50% soft oil is too much unless you are making Castile Soap

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Here is a recipe that should give you a hard bard with lots of creamy lather. Adding sodium lactate (up to 3% of the weight of other fats and oils), to your lye water will help with hardness of bar and give you more bubbles.

20% coconut
20% palm
15% cocoa butter
6% Castor oil
39% avocado