Two problems with LS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyma

Reaction score
Hi there,

Following my previous post about my first attempt for bastile CP LS, and all your useful advise, everything went quite well. I made 3-4 batches more and i think i'm really comfortable now with the process.

It's just that i have two issues need to be solved:
1. While dilution went all fine, 1.5 : 1 ratio (water to paste), not very thick, not very thin, and the soap was for 10 days all dissolved and liquid, it formed again in the surface a thin layer of soap crust (see pic attached).
This was happening in the first 2-3 days during dulition only. Why this happened again after so many days, while the soap was resting, and although the room temperature is cold and no extra water evaporated.
Do i have to dilute it slightly again, or just wait for the weather to get warmer?

2. After dilution i've made some EO blends and mixed them in small jars in room temperature. At first they were all clouded through the whole jar, and gradually the went transparent from the bottom to the top. However after many days, a layer of cloud is stil there. In one of them is only on the surface while another is a lot more. Will i have to wait more, although it seems that it won't completely disappear. Do i have to dilute it?
What exactly is this cloud layer, as i think it's not undiluted paste or just foam? (pic attached)

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_5378.jpg
    IMG_5378.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5377.jpg
    IMG_5377.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 10
I don’t know how to help your dilution question but hopefully my reply will help bump up your thread for someone else to see.

when adding scent to a liquid soap you’re basically adding an oil to water. Oil floats on water. I’m guessing part of your clouds are soap with the oil mixed in floating on your dilution water. If you have an emulsifier on hand you can add it bit by bit to see if your clouds disappear.

Thank you @BattleGnome !
As for the essential oil, maybe you are right. Cause i just stirred it with a spoon vigorously. In bigger batches i'll use a stick blender and i suppose i will achieve a better emulsificatition.
Is there any chance of having the cloudiness issue of some EOs, as i read of this a lot. Or cloudiness is happening evenly in all the soap, and not just on top?

Anyone could help with my first problem and the soap crust formed on top after 10 days resting?

Back