Two latest batches

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
Last week I made a batch of the first recipe I used (50% lard 30% OO 15%Co 5% Castor) and added Crafter's Choice Vanilla Cream. This was my first attempt at adding fragrance. I was expecting it to discolor, and was pleasantly surprised when I poured it into mold that it was a medium tan color. Well, as you can see from the pictures below, within 24 hours it turned this color :think:
When I poured it into the mold, it had this shiny, oily look but I had reached what I think was medium trace (it was almost the consistency of brownie batter). After unmolding, it had an oily feel to it. Now 1 week later, it's not as oily, so I am hoping there isn't anything wrong with it. I zap tested a bar and didn't get a jolt, so I am thinking it was just because I added fragrance oil and I have not done that yet.

The other bar is my Salty Charcoal bar. Obviously it developed soda ash, but I think it looks kinda cool. This bar looks the best though, as some of the others appear to be getting ash on the sides as well :cry:. This batch is KILLING me, I want to try it soooo bad and it is really testing my patience. But it is only 4 weeks old, so hopefully it is at least halfway through cure.

IMG_20160223_090518436.jpg

IMG_20160223_085802676.jpg

IMG_20160223_085813553.jpg

The oily discharge could be from the particular FO you used. One or two of my FOs do that to me, too, but the oil always absorbs back in. As long as there's no zap, you're good. :thumbup:

If it were me, I would go ahead and sneak a try of the salt bar. I'm able to use mine just fine after 4 weeks of cure, but that's just me. If you don't like how it feels, just give it more time.

IrishLass :)

If it were me, I would go ahead and sneak a try of the salt bar. I'm able to use mine just fine after 4 weeks of cure, but that's just me. If you don't like how it feels, just give it more time.

IrishLass :)

Really? Ok, now I am excited. I thought I was doing the minimum for a salt bar by letting it cure for two months, so glad to know that there is the possibility it will be good at 1! Looks like I am going to be giving one of those ugly bars a try this afternoon.

Really? Ok, now I am excited. I thought I was doing the minimum for a salt bar by letting it cure for two months, so glad to know that there is the possibility it will be good at 1! Looks like I am going to be giving one of those ugly bars a try this afternoon.

Yes really! I started using my first salt bar at 4 weeks. I use it once a day on my face - I'm still using the same 2oz bar. Kind of excited to see what the next bar (from same batch) is like now that they're 5 months old. I think there will be some difference between the one in my shower and the one that has been on my cure shelf.

I tried the salt bar yesterday. At first, it took a little work to get lather, but then it settled down and lathered nicely. I've never had grey colored lather before, so that was kind of interesting. I used it several times on my hands to make sure it didn't linger before washing my face with it. It did seem to clean really well and didn't leave my face as *moisturized* as my regular bar, so that is what I was going for. (Now if only my son can remember to use it :rolleyes:)

Back