Twist up LS paste sticks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponomancer

Professional Geek
Reaction score
Okay so I made a whole lot of liquid soap paste but... we aren't going through it very fast. So I decided that I want to make some twist up sticks like I've read about a few people on the forum doing.

It seems fairly straightforward -but I want to scent them, and I'm not sure about the best way to incorporate fragrance oil into the soap paste, can anyone help me?

I would probably knead it in by hand if scenting smallish amounts. Like bread dough. Wear gloves to protect your skin from the concentrated scent if you do this.

If you want to scent a larger amount of the paste, you could try mixing with a stand mixer. I think a KitchenAid type mixer fitted with a paddle or dough hook would work best.

I would probably knead it in by hand if scenting smallish amounts. Like bread dough. Wear gloves to protect your skin from the concentrated scent if you do this.

If you want to scent a larger amount of the paste, you could try mixing with a stand mixer. I think a KitchenAid type mixer fitted with a paddle or dough hook would work best.
!!!! That's a great idea, I do have a Kitchenaid that I use for bathbombs and bubblebars, thank you!

IMG_0684.JPG

Success!

So this would be for "take along" soap? Our Minnesota State Fair is coming up in August and I HATE the soap establishments use. To drying for me. Is there another purpose for decanting just the paste?

So this would be for "take along" soap? Our Minnesota State Fair is coming up in August and I HATE the soap establishments use. To drying for me. Is there another purpose for decanting just the paste?
Pretty much yes! You can also do this if you want to use 100% coconut LS paste to make a stain stick.

LS paste is a fabulous travel soap in a roll-up tube. Susie sent me some in a soap swap once in a roll-up tube. My son was fascinated when I was visiting him, but I was too selfish to let him have it. I really should send him some one of these days! Such a selfish mom I am!

Pretty much yes! You can also do this if you want to use 100% coconut LS paste to make a stain stick.
I never thought about the stain stick! Excellent idea! I've always used the 100% coconut oil soap that I make the laundry butter out of for the stain stick, but that's regular HP for me. Thank you!

LS paste is a fabulous travel soap in a roll-up tube. Susie sent me some in a soap swap once in a roll-up tube. My son was fascinated when I was visiting him, but I was too selfish to let him have it. I really should send him some one of these days! Such a selfish mom I am!
LOL you and me both. I love my kids, and I give them soaps in all forms, emulsified sugar scrub, AC hair rinse/conditioner and deodorant, but seriously! If I got a treat someone had given me, the kids can dang well wait till I get around to making it.

I never thought about the stain stick! Excellent idea! I've always used the 100% coconut oil soap that I make the laundry butter out of for the stain stick, but that's regular HP for me. Thank you!
I didn't come up with it! Its something some of the lovely folks around here did that I've remembered. I'm happy to share the delight though.

It's easy peasy to make. If you can make liquid soap, you can make it. Just shove the paste in a tube while still warm. So it is actually easier to make than liquid soap. I use the back (blunt) end of a bamboo skewer to push the paste into the sides of the tube.

And I started making it because I react to commercial soap in public restrooms. It is getting better now that not every restroom has antibacterial soap, but I still have my tube in my purse just in case. I actually went to a restroom that had a handmade sign around the soap dispenser that said, "REAL Soap NO artificial ingredients" I used that without worry. It did, indeed, smell and feel like real soap.

It's easy peasy to make. If you can make liquid soap, you can make it. Just shove the paste in a tube while still warm. So it is actually easier to make than liquid soap. I use the back (blunt) end of a bamboo skewer to push the paste into the sides of the tube.

And I started making it because I react to commercial soap in public restrooms. It is getting better now that not every restroom has antibacterial soap, but I still have my tube in my purse just in case. I actually went to a restroom that had a handmade sign around the soap dispenser that said, "REAL Soap NO artificial ingredients" I used that without worry. It did, indeed, smell and feel like real soap.
Thank you for bringing this wonderful concept to the world. I actually didn't have any trouble filling the tubes with cooled soap paste for what its worth.

Thank you for bringing this wonderful concept to the world. I actually didn't have any trouble filling the tubes with cooled soap paste for what its worth.

Glad to help. Everyone's recipe will be different, so how stiff the paste is will be different. I use a lot of hard oils in my Soap2Go recipe, so my paste is quite firm when cool. I live in the hot south, so the paste I use for liquid soap runs out of the tube when exposed to 100 F + temperatures.

If you pour in liquid batter, you have one or two issues.
1. I have no idea what the tubes are made of. So no idea of lye safe or heat safe.
2. If it is too thin, it will flow right out of the bottom. (Tried this, got a REALLY clean kitchen out of it.)

With tubes that large, why couldn’t cp soap be be used as well?

I agree with Susie's concerns. I also want to mention it's not just an issue of getting the soap into the tube, it's also about ease of use.

KOH soap paste stays softer than NaOH soap so you can wipe a dab of KOH soap paste off the top of the tube and get it onto your hands reasonably quickly.

NaOH soap (whether CP or HP) is firm and a dab can't be quickly wiped off. This soap will have to be rubbed off the end of the tube like you rub a bar of soap. Since the large "lip balm" type tubes are a LOT smaller than a bar of soap, getting enough soap rubbed onto your hands will be a slower process.

I suppose a person could use a miniature deodorant-type dispenser, but this type of container, even the miniature versions, are larger than a large lip-balm tube, so that becomes an issue.

KOH soap is also more water soluble, so it dissolves faster in water and will lather up a little faster in a busy public restroom.

Back