Twelve dollar soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's $12 CAD. Converted to US dollars is under $10. That is what I charge and have no problems selling. Although mine are larger and alot goes into the art of them. But I have seen them at the orchard down the road from my house priced at 12 US and they do sell. I think it's all about who your trying to sell to.

Looks like they are using some very expensive essential oils, and an expensive base oil (sea buckthorn! <3) in the unscented bar too. Probably not an unreasonable price given the cost of ingredients. It's great that some customers appreciate that.

Well, at first glance I thought “no way”. Then I read the ingredient label. Assuming they used pure olive along with the Shea and real essential oils, the price is easier to take. I’d buy one, but just to try is as I’m always curious at different recipes.

I don’t sell my soap, but am working on recipes with “exotic” oils just because. Indeed it would increase the price of the soap, were I to sell it. I have come up with recipes for non-coconut soaps, non animal fat, non-palm or palm kernel, non-olive oil, non-shay (don’t like shay)—with the idea of soap recipes to address allergies. Also can experiment with ingredients that might verge on “cosmetic” ingredients. I have fun going around the grain!

Agree, those high price soaps aren’t anything special. Just fancy words. An ingredient like All Natural Non-GMOOrganic Refined Rare Earth Rainbow Shiminoiya Oil (I made that up) ought to at least have some soaping benefit! But there are fools born every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they are using some very expensive essential oils, and an expensive base oil (sea buckthorn! <3) in the unscented bar too. Probably not an unreasonable price given the cost of ingredients. It's great that some customers appreciate that.
That’s the catch—customers who are somewhat knowledgeable.

They're so plain! I've seen a few bars where the artistry was so gorgeous that I might be willing to pay that. for $12 I want some SWIRLS!

I admit, as a tourist in Alaska I paid close to that for some made with spruce tip tea. But like other's said, that's as a tourist for a sort of "novelty" item.

They're so plain! I've seen a few bars where the artistry was so gorgeous that I might be willing to pay that. for $12 I want some SWIRLS!

I admit, as a tourist in Alaska I paid close to that for some made with spruce tip tea. But like other's said, that's as a tourist for a sort of "novelty" item.
My thoughts too Dixie! I was expecting them to be 'blow your socks off' gorgeous!

Many years ago, I made soap for 5 years and I used to take money for it. People wanted it but didn't want to just take it for free. So, I used to charge $3 a bar. Yes, of course I lost money ... but I had fun.

Now, I've been talking about my renewed soap making at work (I am a psychiatric nurse), and people have expressed an interest. Again, they just don't want to take them, so they asked me "How much?" Without thinking I said, "$3 a bar." Later I thought about it and realized I am going to lose my shirt. (I just paid $100 for an 8 ounce bottle of patchouli.) I may have to renegotiate. It would be nice to just break even.

The $26 soap calls coconut oil "hydrating organic coconut oil." I thought coconut oil was cleansing/stripping.

Also, it only weighs 3 ounces!

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's going to pay this much for a bar of soap??

A lot of people. Essential Oils are not cheap and Fennel Oil is pretty expensive...wholesale organic is around $25 USD for just 2 oz.

Checking out the websites of several of my favorites soapers...prices range from $8.50 to $12.00 USD. My soaps run between $6.00 and $9.00 depending on bar size, scented/unscented and regular/goat milk.

I was looking at some of the ‘expensive’ brands...I make better soap, but I don’t have the ‘name’ (yet).

Back