Tweaking it again

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAShillito

Reaction score
What can I do to get the linoleic down or will it be ok since I'm adding the sodium gluconate? I feel like my brain is gonna short circuit lol Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210330_130905.jpg
    20210330_130905.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Here is a reference regarding popular Fatty Acid profiles for soapmakers who responded to a survey: What Fatty Acid Profiles in Soapmaking Are the Most Popular?

To answer your question, you could lower your percentages of Crisco (high in linoleic) and Olive Oil and raise your percentage of Shea Butter. If you have access to Cocoa Butter, that would help with hardness & longevity as well as reduce linoleic. Substituting High Oleic Sunflower oil for Olive Oil would also bring the linoleic down.

Cocoa Butter can be purchased at places like Dollar General, Walgreens and various other stores as a push-up solid stick, which is about a dollar or so per ounce. When I was new to soapmaking, I bought it like this to test it out in small batches of soap before eventually sourcing it from soap suppliers at better prices.

1617146265562.png1617146301623.png

The other thing I would recommend is to make a much smaller batch. When testing a new recipe, a 400 or 500 gram weight is preferable. One pound of soap or about 4 bars of soap to test will be sufficient for you to know if you like the recipe or not. Plus if something goes awry, you haven't wasted a kilo of oils and the rest of your ingredients. And it costs less to make less soap.

Back