Tutorials - new YouTube channel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bingo šŸ˜‚
I need to add.. I like some talking, but as @TheGecko said above., I too get worn out with certain types of fill in conversation. It must be from being a nurse.. ā€œso when did your cough start?ā€
ā€œ well, my grandfather had pneumonia when I was born, and it runs in the family. Two years ago I got sick but then I got better. My mother told me Iā€™d always have problems with getting sick because Iā€™m allergic to penicillin . The first time it was prescribed my dog ate it ā€¦ā€ šŸ˜³
šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Well Benjifrazer, you're now armed with lots things to think about. So many personal favorites and preferences.

I can't watch some of the YT soapers mentioned above; I dream in soap (too much talking), Tree Maria (too fastidious). It's a shame because I'm sure I could learn from them. One of my very first favorite was Royalty Soaps, but she's gotten so....goofy I can't take it.

My point is, I know you appreciate everyone's helpfulness, but I hope you take it with a grain of salt. You have something unique to offer, and while I bet you don't know exactly what that it....I hope you find that uniqueness and hone it. The right audience will find you.

Can you please teach soap math when designing the soap. How to determine percent of the soap batter you need for a specific area and how to determine amount of batter to color for it. Lisa at I Dream in Soap does a great job in some videos but others she skips the math part and just shows the graph of numbers for each area or layer. I'm a detail oriented person, and want to understand how to do this. Some soap videos just pour up batter by sight and state that looks about right for this area. DRIVES ME INSANE!! PLEASE MORE MATH and SOAP DESIGN!!

Keep it short and neat I for techniques tutorials. Channels like Tree Marie taught me a lot but I also found myself constantly skipping to where she pours and cuts, etc.
Although everyone watch soap videos for different reasons. I make soaping videos myself, post them on both youtube and a non-English site. Had a lot of viewers told me they aren't interested in making soaps myself or don't even use bar soaps anymore, but just enjoy a chill vibe with some soothing white noise, so I guess that's a another way of reaching out. I haven't seen soaping channels do this but a cooking channel I used to follow does two version per recording: one has no taking or music, just quiet cooking asmr; another still no talking but with music and subtitles go in to more detail about how and why the cooking was done.

Ha I bet youā€™re sorry you asked! Personally, I like soap making videos that are relaxing. I watch Tellervo videos and kind of go into a trance. She shows herself making ice cubes, measuring, stirring, I love all of it. I mean, I know how to make ice cubes but I donā€™t care. I cannot deal with loud brash bright videos with quick camera changes and a lot of text on the screen. Maybe itā€™s generational, Iā€™m 60. There is one soap maker whose videos come up on YouTube all the time and I just had to keep disliking them so she wonā€™t keep appearing. Canā€™t handle her. Sorry I guess Iā€™m just a crabby old crone. Information is great - I like learning by watching. A little narration is okay. Agree I donā€™t need to hear the stick blender too loudly but if the soap maker is just pulsing, itā€™s helpful to know that. Look forward to your videos!
I could not agree more! I love Tellervo, clean, clear, simple and relaxing, she actually inspires me where almost all others do not.

Can you please teach soap math when designing the soap. How to determine percent of the soap batter you need for a specific area and how to determine amount of batter to color for it. Lisa at I Dream in Soap does a great job in some videos but others she skips the math part and just shows the graph of numbers for each area or layer. I'm a detail oriented person, and want to understand how to do this. Some soap videos just pour up batter by sight and state that looks about right for this area. DRIVES ME INSANE!! PLEASE MORE MATH and SOAP DESIGN!!
Too funny... I am one who wants to eyeball, because... well, a few of my favorite math memes included below say it better than I can.

Dear Math meme.jpeg

Dear Math meme 2.jpeg

Math meme 3.jpeg

Attachments

• Math meme 3.jpeg
    Math meme 3.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Iā€™m in the terse camp, mostly because of time constraints. I also seem to have a low tolerance for the average sound track and almost always turn the sound off for the first run through. If thereā€™s no photo of the finished soap up front, I check at the end before investing more time. If I commit, I will be interested in the recipe, the section on colorants and the technique itself. Has anyone mentioned color proportions? Why give the weight or volume of colorants used if youā€™re not giving us the batch size!?! I also want to know what trace works best and why. I like to see the swirling action from different angles and may watch a swirling section multiple times on the slowest speed possible.

I made a lot of 'pudding' soaps in the beginning because I was a bit slow to catch on that the majority of [well-known] soap makers were making much larger batches of soap than I was. LOL It's fairly easy to guesstimate batch sizes. I start with the container to see if I recognize it, then I look at the mold, then 'the cut', especially if they are using multi-bar cutters.

Admittedly when I first started watching videos I was oftentimes frustrated with the lack of information being provided, but these weren't supposed to be tutorials, they were 'entertainment'. Sometimes I would ask questions, always careful to be very polite in my inquiry..."May I ask what colorant you are using? or May I ask where you found XYZ?"

I can't watch some of the YT soapers mentioned above; I dream in soap (too much talking), Tree Maria (too fastidious). It's a shame because I'm sure I could learn from them. One of my very first favorite was Royalty Soaps, but she's gotten so....goofy I can't take it.

Katie is not my style, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for her...what she has accomplished, her branding, her business savvy. She has always been goofy...her brand is built on her freshness, youth, honesty and designs. But it's clear that her business has reached 'terminal velocity' and has declined. Just three years ago, her soaps sold out within hours of being released; now you can still buy soap from a few months ago. Her YT videos averaged 300k-500k, now they are in the 50k-75k range. And she had noted that in some of videos, hence she has been showing less soap making videos and more other stuff because views = money and her business supports a lot of people.

I used to watch Lisa and Teri from start to finish too, but I don't these days because it's more than what I want to do. I have no interest in landscapes or soap dough or imbeds or fancy techniques or that level of precision.

So soapsters.

I am starting a YouTube channel with tips tutorials the usual Fayre.

However, it occurred to me - there is lots of the same things on most channels and I wondered if anyone has a tutorial they wish they could find, a technique that they just canā€™t fathom out or any soap related content they would like to see?

Iā€™d credit you with the idea ( or not if youā€™d rather I didnā€™t) but I want to make a channel that would help people with their soaping.
What is your channel so I can follow?! Also, I'd love to see more all natural recipes and tutorials on natural colorants, oil infusions.

Back