Tutorials - new YouTube channel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, it occurred to me - there is lots of the same things on most channels and I wondered if anyone has a tutorial they wish they could find, a technique that they just can’t fathom out or any soap related content they would like to see?

Yes, there thousands of 'how-to' videos on YT and the majority of them are pretty bad. I would highly recommend watching Lisa at "I Dream in Soap"; she has 14 videos on her How To & Why playlist that are excellent and would serve as a guide of how to proceed. Now she doesn't cover techniques/design in this series, but she does have another playlist of You Can Make This Soap, but it's not very extensive. Some other soap makers that I would recommend is Holly at Holly's Soapmaking - Kapia Mera, Teri at Tree Marie Soapworks, Fraeulein Winter (I don't know her name) and Yvonne at Oh我的雙牛寶貝兒/Yvonne.

Now I'm not trying to depress you by thinking "Oh, it's already been done so I shouldn't do it." That's what I thought about my first pattern...I had worked really hard on, had it tech edited and test knitted, and then got ready to publish to find hundreds of the same pattern already published. Then a friend of mine, a well-known designer myself encouraged me to publish because while there may be hundreds of Honeycomb Hats out there...there was only ONE Honeycomb Hat by me.

When I first started watching video on soap making some things that I found frustrating was.....

- camera angle. If I'm trying to learn how to do something, it's best if I can see it the way you see it when you are performing the technique. It doesn't matter if the person is left or right-handed, I can compensate for that, but mirror-images are more difficult.

- batter consistency. Some techniques work better at 'emulsion', some at 'light trace', some at 'medium trace', some where having a 'pudding' is best. Obviously certain techniques take longer than others so starting your batter at 'emulsion' is best to give your the longest working time possible across the board, but you really need xx 'trace' for the actual technique. Also, I have a wonderful recipe that gives me a long working time, but it's also that long working time that creates problems when it comes to layers. You need a fluid batter if you want beautiful layers, but you really want to have each layer set up before you pour the next. I have learned to mix each layer as a single soap.

- substitutions. I don't have cheesecloth or a tea strainer or dividers or loaf mold or a slab mold or a long spout measuring cup or a piping bag or......whatever else. I really want to try the technique...are there other options available and how do I use them?

- the "why". A lot of folks think that soap makers wear gloves for hygiene, no...we wear gloves to protect our hands from Lye. A lot of folks think we "scrapy, scrapy our little containies" as not to waste any ingredients or soap...partly true, but we mainly do it so it makes clean up a lot easier. Why is it okay to spray the top of my soap with alcohol, but I can't mix my colorants with it? Why do we disperse some things sometimes, but not do it other/all of the time? Why can't we use glass? Why only stainless steel? Why do we have to cure our soap? Why can't I use the same equipment for soap making that I use for cooking or baking? Why can't I use Essential Oils and Micas from Amazon and/or 'hobby stores'? Why do I have to weigh my ingredients on a scale instead of using a measuring cup? Why do I need to always run a recipe through a soap calculator? Why do I need eye protection when I wear glasses?

- crap. Loud or annoying music and/or loud or annoying background music. I'd much rather someone use 'mute' if they think the stick bender is annoying or fast forward though it with a note that they SB'd for xx minutes than listen to 15-20 seconds of part of a song or blasting to cover the sound of the SB. I'm perfectly fine with listening to the natural sounds of the activity...if I'm not, then perhaps I should look elsewhere. Too much talking...I don't give a rat's butt about your brother's sister's 3rd cousin's aunt on your great, great-grandpa's son's dog. If you are teaching me how to lay veneer, then that is what I expect to hear you talk about; it's okay to include the weather if it affects laying veneer. Long, drawn out introductions. I'm find with a into placard: "Learn How to do the Taiwan Swirl" or even a short "Hi, I'm Benji with Frazer Soap Works and I'm here to demonstrate the Taiwan Swirl"...fade out.

And FYI - One of the most confusing techniques for me is the ones you make this way, then cut that way, do turn/flip/whatever to get it to show up with the end result.

So soapsters.

I am starting a YouTube channel with tips tutorials the usual Fayre.

However, it occurred to me - there is lots of the same things on most channels and I wondered if anyone has a tutorial they wish they could find, a technique that they just can’t fathom out or any soap related content they would like to see?

I’d credit you with the idea ( or not if you’d rather I didn’t) but I want to make a channel that would help people with their soaping.
I don't know about anyone else on here, I am not a baker! I'm a soaper. I really want to learn how to use the piping bag/frosting tips to create different tops on my soap. Sometimes it's turning out OK, other times, it's a mess. I would love a tutorial on these when using soap.
Thank you for asking opinions!

Cut all the waffle at the beginning about how to make the soap - just do the swirl/pour/whatever explaining about the thickness of the batter and why, etc. And make sure you show the cut and the finished product - essential! :)
I second this. Consider having an à la cart approach to soap making videos. We would have shorter clips of formula and measuring. Short clips of mixing to various stages of trace. Short clips of coloring soap batter and various ways to do it. Short clips of various swirl techniques showing just the swirl. At the beginning of a swirl video, There would be an on screen reference to another video regarding the formula, a video showing coloring, and a video regarding trace, then the swirl video would launch into how to do the swirl. That would make me very happy watching the videos!

Ha I bet you’re sorry you asked! Personally, I like soap making videos that are relaxing. I watch Tellervo videos and kind of go into a trance. She shows herself making ice cubes, measuring, stirring, I love all of it. I mean, I know how to make ice cubes but I don’t care. I cannot deal with loud brash bright videos with quick camera changes and a lot of text on the screen. Maybe it’s generational, I’m 60. There is one soap maker whose videos come up on YouTube all the time and I just had to keep disliking them so she won’t keep appearing. Can’t handle her. Sorry I guess I’m just a crabby old crone. Information is great - I like learning by watching. A little narration is okay. Agree I don’t need to hear the stick blender too loudly but if the soap maker is just pulsing, it’s helpful to know that. Look forward to your videos!

...and I just had to keep disliking them so she won’t keep appearing.

There are three little dots to the right of the video when it is lined up in your feed. Click that and then you can select "do not recommend channel."

Also, I think whenever you click into a video, click like or dislike, comment, whatever-- it counts as engagement and makes it more likely to show up.

I have to agree with @Vicki C - I don't mind watching all of it. Some amount of chattiness is okay. Even a lot of chattiness is okay if I happen to like the maker. I would find it a little annoying to have to seek out several other videos to find how to color, the right trace for the technique you are showcasing, the recipe (if you are sharing that). I like the videos that are around 20 minutes or less, as oftentimes I'm just filling a bit of time while doing something else. Music is okay - I rather like it most of the time. If I don't, I can mute it myself. There is one soap maker that I just can't watch due to a child always being around and talking to her. I haven't watched a video of hers in probably 5 years.

I think you have enough differing opinions to show you that you can't please everyone. Make the type of video (format) that you want to do, and take suggestions for content - which I think was your original intent anyway.

I don't know about anyone else on here, I am not a baker! I'm a soaper. I really want to learn how to use the piping bag/frosting tips to create different tops on my soap. Sometimes it's turning out OK, other times, it's a mess. I would love a tutorial on these when using soap.

Since soap "frosting" needs to be the consistency of buttercream, I've just been watching regular cake decorating tutorials.

Personally, I like soap making videos that are relaxing. I watch Tellervo videos and kind of go into a trance. She shows herself making ice cubes, measuring, stirring, I love all of it. I mean, I know how to make ice cubes but I don’t care. I cannot deal with loud brash bright videos with quick camera changes and a lot of text on the screen. Maybe it’s generational, I’m 60. There is one soap maker whose videos come up on YouTube all the time and I just had to keep disliking them so she won’t keep appearing. Can’t handle her. Sorry I guess I’m just a crabby old crone. Information is great - I like learning by watching. A little narration is okay. Agree I don’t need to hear the stick blender too loudly but if the soap maker is just pulsing, it’s helpful to know that. Look forward to your videos!

I've watched a few of her videos. I was really disappointed on her video about "No Heat Rebatch Soap". Seeing the thumbnail I was like "Wow...that looks just like CP Soap"...that's because it was. She didn't 'rebatch'...she made 'Confetti Soap'.

I don't think it's an 'age' thing because I'm 60 too. When I first start researching, and then for about the first year, I watched every soaping video from start to finish, but now days, even with my favorite soap makers, I fast forward or don't even watch unless I'm interested in the technique or design or want to see how a particular colorant, scent or additive behaves in recipes that are similar to mine. I'm the same way with knitting videos.

For me, "entertainment" is spending an hour watching some guy in Canada restore a vintage Sally Saw. There is a guy in Germany that is renovating a small vacation home...he is just finishing the drywall in the bathroom. There is a guy in Australia who makes things out of scrap wood. And another guy in Vietnam who does 'primitive living'. Oh...the dude in Russia who does Chesterfield furniture. And let's not forget the two years I spent watch some young man in the US restore a '85 Fiero. Or the guy in Minnesota that saws huge freaking trees and makes furniture. LOL Honestly...I have zero interest in doing any of this stuff myself...no interest in saw milling, restoring vintage equipment or furniture...my idea of 'primitive living' is a hotel without room service and I don't even change my own oil.

If YT is recommending a channel you aren't interested in, click on the three little dots to the right of the thumbnail of the video and select "Don't recommend this channel" and you won't see it again.

Cut all the waffle at the beginning about how to make the soap - just do the swirl/pour/whatever explaining about the thickness of the batter and why, etc. And make sure you show the cut and the finished product - essential! :)
Totally agree with this! Videos that don't show the cut are so disappointing.

There are three little dots to the right of the video when it is lined up in your feed. Click that and then you can select "do not recommend channel."

Also, I think whenever you click into a video, click like or dislike, comment, whatever-- it counts as engagement and makes it more likely to show up.
THANK YOU!

Since soap "frosting" needs to be the consistency of buttercream, I've just been watching regular cake decorating tutorials.

I've watched a few of her videos. I was really disappointed on her video about "No Heat Rebatch Soap". Seeing the thumbnail I was like "Wow...that looks just like CP Soap"...that's because it was. She didn't 'rebatch'...she made 'Confetti Soap'.

I don't think it's an 'age' thing because I'm 60 too. When I first start researching, and then for about the first year, I watched every soaping video from start to finish, but now days, even with my favorite soap makers, I fast forward or don't even watch unless I'm interested in the technique or design or want to see how a particular colorant, scent or additive behaves in recipes that are similar to mine. I'm the same way with knitting videos.

For me, "entertainment" is spending an hour watching some guy in Canada restore a vintage Sally Saw. There is a guy in Germany that is renovating a small vacation home...he is just finishing the drywall in the bathroom. There is a guy in Australia who makes things out of scrap wood. And another guy in Vietnam who does 'primitive living'. Oh...the dude in Russia who does Chesterfield furniture. And let's not forget the two years I spent watch some young man in the US restore a '85 Fiero. Or the guy in Minnesota that saws huge freaking trees and makes furniture. LOL Honestly...I have zero interest in doing any of this stuff myself...no interest in saw milling, restoring vintage equipment or furniture...my idea of 'primitive living' is a hotel without room service and I don't even change my own oil.

If YT is recommending a channel you aren't interested in, click on the three little dots to the right of the thumbnail of the video and select "Don't recommend this channel" and you won't see it again.
I think her videos are like ASMR for me - I just kind of go into a trance. So maybe I’m not giving good advice about how to make soapmaking videos, just how to make me relax and go to sleep…
I‘m going to be clicking the three dots a lot. Thank you!
Yes. Totally unforgivable to not show the cut. And if you’re on a high speed playback slow it down or freeze frame on the cut.

What I haven't seen from soap youtubers (but is well-known in other corners of the fractally branched YT ecosystem) is one soaping session, but cut/post-produced into multiple videos for different needs/audience:
  • one lengthy, chatty step-by-step instruction, that leads you through the how's and why's of the whole process. Maybe even with a lather test (looking at you, @Anstarx 😃).
  • one terse “technique only” video with on-point explanation of the characteristics of the design + close-up shots of the final product (no cut, except important – think of wood grain soap). No weighing of oils, SBing, top sculpting finish, cutting.
  • one ASMR-style video, without words, that takes time for the slow steps. Watch oils fusing together. Watch the batter going from burping the SB to medium trace. Watch every layer of a rainbow soap being poured. Watch (and listen to) tightening the soap cutter strings. Watch an expensive beveler do its fancy job. Watch the remainings being kneaded into soap balls. Maybe even watch shrink-wrapping.
Then advertise the other video types, so that everyone knows they can choose whatever they just need. If you're in an “evening mood” and watch an ASMR video, but later on decide you want to replicate the technique, you can just click that other video!

Great advice from Zany_in_CO - not rude at all - and loads of other good points from everyone else. I'm sure you will be a YouTube Soap Star in no time.
There are sooooo many wafflers on YouTube who are just having fun and indulging themselves. Fortunately we all have a Stop button to press, however, I usually find the majority of the soaping community pretty engaging. One thing to do is deploy some judicial editing - we don't need to see every second of the action. Keep the videos as short as possible and make sure you follow best practice with PPE.
Good luck with your channel and I look forward to a new source of inspiration.

I've just watched your Christmas Wreath Soap Piping Tutorial on YouTube - absolutely brilliant. Well done - more please.

What I haven't seen from soap youtubers (but is well-known in other corners of the fractally branched YT ecosystem) is one soaping session, but cut/post-produced into multiple videos for different needs/audience:

I think that is because the majority of soap makers on YT are NOT trying to provide instructional videos. Speaking to several of the well-known ones, it started as a way to share their craft with others and now it has become a way to advertise their products. Now some soap makers are more detailed about the soap making process, but most just start with everything premeasured and/or pre-melted and just show the blending of oils and Lye Solution, adding colorants and scents, pouring the soap and then it time for "the cut"...all in about 15-20 minutes.

And it's much the same with a lot of other crafters/makers.

I just spent a while trying to find the “do not recommend” option on YT - turns out it isn’t there on the iOS app, only on the web browser version. Annoying. But now I know.

Missouri River does a regular version where she talks and a sped up version. I like to watch the talking ones in general, but it is nice to have the short form video if I'm in a hurry. I like the option to choose and it's easy to just edit at a higher speed, add background music, and then you have 2 videos for the price of one.

I’m in the terse camp, mostly because of time constraints. I also seem to have a low tolerance for the average sound track and almost always turn the sound off for the first run through. If there’s no photo of the finished soap up front, I check at the end before investing more time. If I commit, I will be interested in the recipe, the section on colorants and the technique itself. Has anyone mentioned color proportions? Why give the weight or volume of colorants used if you’re not giving us the batch size!?! I also want to know what trace works best and why. I like to see the swirling action from different angles and may watch a swirling section multiple times on the slowest speed possible.

I have a few favorite makers for different reasons. Holly of Kapia Mera was my first teacher and continues to inspire me with her beautiful soap made with botanical colorants. Lisa of I Dream in Soap helps me remember that planning and good practice lead to fewer failed batches. Her technique videos are always thorough. Yvonne has expanded my repertoire of techniques with her clearly captioned videos, well-chosen camera angles and good timing/pace. Teri of Tree Marie knows how to make colors sing. The perfectionist in me also loves her clean bars and right angles, which is why I now own a slab cutter, palette knife and engineering ruler.

I don’t think one maker can be all things to all people. But, if you find your niche and do it well, I think we will watch.

Too much talking...I don't give a rat's butt about your brother's sister's 3rd cousin's aunt on your great, great-grandpa's son's dog.
Bingo 😂
I need to add.. I like some talking, but as @TheGecko said above., I too get worn out with certain types of fill in conversation. It must be from being a nurse.. “so when did your cough start?”
“ well, my grandfather had pneumonia when I was born, and it runs in the family. Two years ago I got sick but then I got better. My mother told me I’d always have problems with getting sick because I’m allergic to penicillin . The first time it was prescribed my dog ate it …” 😳

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back