Turquoise Stone Design Method?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live on a Native American Reservation. Turquoise jewelry is a big deal here. I'd love to "eventually" learn how to make a bar that looks like a large piece of turquoise rock, which includes the brownish/goldish thin veins that run throughout it. Is there a CP design method that you could point me towards? I've uploaded a couple images for reference of what I'd be after.

turquoise1.jpg
6a9918c1fc4ae39c5e0c603110aef5cb.jpg
Vintage_Turquoise_Ring_Native_American_Sterling_Silver_Mens_9.JPG

Last edited:
You could make soap dough; take little pieces and cover them with gold mica; mush them all together; let it set; then cut.
Or you could do mica lines or drizzles in layers; either sculpted with a spoon or with a scraper. If you want something for planned out.
Thank you. I haven't even made soap yet, and creative juices are flowing LoL! But definitely know what you are saying as I've been watching so many videos lately. Maybe one day I can give this a try! Thank you!

Beautiful! I love your colors and the lines! The cool thing about turquoise is there are so many different shades of color and lines. Look forward to trying one day.
View attachment 71608
The second layer of this soap has reminded me of turquoise. The glycerin rivers don't show up incredibly well in this picture, but they gave the layer a crackly look. I used a high percentage of chrome green pigment mixed with micas, if I remember correctly.

This is how I made some turquoise soap embeds before, I have thought of making a larger bar. However, the technique that comes to mind for that is the pencil lines and I am not a fan of it as the pieces have separated for me in the past (a sign I used too much mica). Although other attempts have not separated, so I would suggest that technique, if you can create irregular layers with a spoon or other tools.

This is how I made some turquoise soap embeds before, I have thought of making a larger bar. However, the technique that comes to mind for that is the pencil lines and I am not a fan of it as the pieces have separated for me in the past (a sign I used too much mica). Although other attempts have not separated, so I would suggest that technique, if you can create irregular layers with a spoon or other tools.
Thanks for sharing your technique! A full bar would be very nice, but to do it with your style would sure be a lot of work! I like your idea of embeds. Here is an example (turquoise would replace the creme color...or could put some on top of bar too ) that I just saw that would be cool using turquoise embeds, without having to make the whole bar a piece of turquoise. Could just do a single pencil line then press in the different shape turquiose log pieces of turquoise that you make.

Thanks again for sharing!
turquioseEmbedIdea.jpg

View attachment 71608
The second layer of this soap has reminded me of turquoise. The glycerin rivers don't show up incredibly well in this picture, but they gave the layer a crackly look. I used a high percentage of chrome green pigment mixed with micas, if I remember correctly.
That's beautiful. I love the colors.

Back