Turpentine and Himalayan sea salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avbarron

Reaction score
Is it possible to make Himalayan sea salt and turpentine soap? I'm a beginner and just wanted to know if they will mix well.

Here's a link about Turpentine on WebMD. Although it does say that it can be used for soap, it doesn't specify if small amounts are used as some type of additive or if it is used as one of the main oils.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-508/turpentine-oil
Pay attention to the safety pages: causing flair ups in people with asthma and respiratory illnesses, seems like a red flag. We haven't tested it enough to know if it's harmful to pregnant or breastfeeding people when applied topically, so, our advice is to be safe and not.... BIG red flag. Can interfere with medications, or cause liver problems... major red flags.

As an artist, and having had some Hazmat training through work, my knee-jerk reaction is: this doesn't seem like a healthy ingredient to use.

It would also be difficult to find the SAP value of Turpentine, It doesn't seem to be in any of the soap calculators that I've checked. (I was curious!)

And to your original question: I have no idea about how it would react with any kind of salt????

Thank you for a this information. I use two separate soaps, turpentine and one sea salt. So I thought if I combine them I wouldn't have to use them separately. I guess I'll just have to test it out myself.

It would also be difficult to find the SAP value of Turpentine, It doesn't seem to be in any of the soap calculators that I've checked. (I was curious!)
@Avbarron Which type of turpentine are you talking about?
Solid pine resin is called “colophony” and a few calulators, e. g. SAPONIFICATION CALCULATOR - HANDCRAFTED SOAP MAKING offer saponification values for it.
The volatile fraction alone is an essential oil (a first guess would be to treat it like pine essential oil), and has no saponification value, treat it like any other essential oil.

Hard to tell if it's the natural mix of both (honey thick with an aromatic smell).

I'm not sure, I guess I have to see which one the soap I use has. The brand I use just says turpentine, and other ingredients, olive oil, pine rosen, sodium hydroxide.

Most folks don’t use Himalayan salt in their soap - even when finely ground, it is extremely scratchy, to the point of lacerating some folks’ skin. I personally can use the fine ground Kirkland brand in my exfoliating salt bars, but I seem to be the outlier in that.

Back