Turmeric Soap Lost Color?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsZ

Obsessive hobbyist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a soap today, and colored it with ground Turmeric following directions from Lovely Greens. How to naturally color soap with Turmeric

I used a different blend of oils though, as I was trying to keep it simple and use what I have. As I poured the soap, it was a nice orange color. I tried to force it through the gel stage by CPOP. I think I used too little water for that, from what I've read. I was experimenting with little changes in the recipe and will probably do a 33% lye concentration next time.

As it set up and hardened, it turned a nice creamy white. I'm wondering why the orange didn't stay around? It's interesting to me.

I soaped at about 115 degrees.

Also, I didn't use any fragrances of any kind.

Attachments

• IMG_20210508_175923307_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210508_175923307_HDR.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210508_181852100.jpg
    IMG_20210508_181852100.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 50
As insanely bright turmeric is as a spice, its pigment curcumin is not very stable against harsh conditions (light, lye, heat, oxygen). I'm surprised too how it literally disappeared altogether for you. Disappointing and puzzling. Was it some old-ish turmeric powder that had lost much of its dyeing power over time already?

Your recipe (oils, lye concentration, CPOP) looks innocent. When you want to achieve brilliant and lasting orange hues in soap, there are IMHO better ways than turmeric, like red palm oil, annatto, paprika, tomato, or madder root.

Slightly OT, but FWIW the great strength of turmeric is its quality as a fabulous spice. Ever since the fresh rhizomes are somewhat available here, I don't even have turmeric powder at home any more.

I made that almost exact soap recipe today! You had just 5% more olive oil & I used 5% almond oil. Funny! I did a pull through and one of my colors was turmeric. I’ve used it before and it’s never done that to me! I soap at a lower temperature, but still?!? I don’t think that should effect the turmeric. I also try to gel my soaps with CPOP.
How much turmeric did you add? I usually use 1 teaspoon per pound of total batch oil. So your recipe looks to be 1 lb of oils = 1 teaspoon of turmeric.

I made that almost exact soap recipe today! You had just 5% more olive oil & I used 5% almond oil. Funny! I did a pull through and one of my colors was turmeric. I’ve used it before and it’s never done that to me! I soap at a lower temperature, but still?!? I don’t think that should effect the turmeric. I also try to gel my soaps with CPOP.
How much turmeric did you add? I usually use 1 teaspoon per pound of total batch oil. So your recipe looks to be 1 lb of oils = 1 teaspoon of turmeric.
That is funny. :) I did find the recipe on one of the forums. :)

Yes, I did 1tsp / per pound of oils too. The tutorial I used had you add the turmeric to the lye water, then strain it through muslin. I used a paper towel since I didn't have muslin. I wonder if the color may eventually show up again? I was surprised because it was so rusty orange at pour. :)

As insanely bright turmeric is as a spice, its pigment curcumin is not very stable against harsh conditions (light, lye, heat, oxygen). I'm surprised too how it literally disappeared altogether for you. Disappointing and puzzling. Was it some old-ish turmeric powder that had lost much of its dyeing power over time already?

Your recipe (oils, lye concentration, CPOP) looks innocent. When you want to achieve brilliant and lasting orange hues in soap, there are IMHO better ways than turmeric, like red palm oil, annatto, paprika, tomato, or madder root.

Slightly OT, but FWIW the great strength of turmeric is its quality as a fabulous spice. Ever since the fresh rhizomes are somewhat available here, I don't even have turmeric powder at home any more.
I do use turmeric in my cooking, and as a supplement for joint pain. I love my turmeric. :)

Yes, I used an old jar that I replaced for cooking, but didn't throw out. That could be what happened.

That is funny. :) I did find the recipe on one of the forums. :)

Yes, I did 1tsp / per pound of oils too. The tutorial I used had you add the turmeric to the lye water, then strain it through muslin. I used a paper towel since I didn't have muslin. I wonder if the color may eventually show up again? I was surprised because it was so rusty orange at pour. :)
I usually just pre-mix my turmeric or any colorant with a tablespoon of my batch oils. Then add it to my batter when I’m at appropriate trace. I’ve never add it to my lye water.. interesting.
ETA... my turmeric, although organic, is rather old. I can’t really remember when I bought it. I bought it to cook with and really didn’t care for the taste! Lol

Thank you for the link about Colorants! I'm going to keep it handy.

Not that I’ve found. I have turmeric in a charcoal face soap and I don’t find it exfoliating at all. And I love a good scrub! But maybe that’s why I don’t find it scratchy. I’ve desensitized my skin! Lol!
That's good to know, I may try your method next time. :) Thanks.

@MrsZ I love Tanya's blog 😍 I'm halfway across the world but she lives how we try to live. I've made quite a few of her soaps. We grow our own vegetables (biodiverse and permaculture) and yep we have native bees, make our own bread etc etc.

I know that you can test natural colours to check how stable they are in alkaline or acidic environments. We do a grade 5 science experiment where you boil water then pour over things like red cabbage, green tea spriulina etc then let it soak (we do this in classroom over night, but you'd get results maybe after an hour of soaking). Then pour the (strained) coloured water into glasses that we've added a few spoons baking soda in one and vinegar or citric acid to the other. As the pH changes the colour of the water changes to. Red cabbage is red in very acidic water, purple at neutral and blue at the alkaline end. Grapeseed extract is wonderful for this. Anyway, sorry brevity isn't my strong suit, back to Tracey's soap!

I've made her turmeric soap a few times, but, I do mine slightly different. I make oil infusions from my dry herbs and flowers. So, I tend to have a few bottles on the bung, ready to go. I infuse 500mls lots. This will sound weird but I also add vitamin E and about 2 tablespoons max with glycerine. I mix the (ground/powdered) herbs into the glycerine and vitamin e then mix that into the 500ml of oil and store (shaking a few times during 'cure') it in the cupboard with the infusion date and just to make it more confusing I only use olive oil or sweet almond for my infusions.

Anyway, what I have done with Tanya's recipe it make two batches at the same time one with olive infusion of turmeric and one with smoked paprika. I do strain the oil before using it and turmeric seems to give a lovely deep yellowy-light orange colour and smoked paprika gives this awesome red rust. I really like the turmeric and paprika colours in soap together. I do things like matcha, calendula, alkanet, chamomile, beetroot, kelp, spriulina, saffron, carrot powder (dehydrated then ground with coffee grinder, colour not great but fun), cocoa, roots, roots and more roots... the list goes on. I enjoy making infusions and extracts. There's something very um tactile? I've even tried to infuse kale (permie garden so we've had for 15 years but mainly for insect repellent) but I didn't like the result of the kale oil, I used it in the fly traps.

Sorry for rambling. I'm not good with brevity (and parentheses are fun) 😁🙃

Last edited:
@MrsZ I love Tanya's blog 😍 I'm halfway across the world but she lives how we try to live. I've made quite a few of her soaps. We grow our own vegetables (biodiverse and permaculture) and yep we have native bees, make our own bread etc etc.

I know that you can test natural colours to check how stable they are in alkaline or acidic environments. We do a grade 5 science experiment where you boil water then pour over things like red cabbage, green tea spriulina etc then let it soak (we do this in classroom over night, but you'd get results maybe after an hour of soaking). Then pour the (strained) coloured water into glasses that we've added a few spoons baking soda in one and vinegar or citric acid to the other. As the pH changes the colour of the water changes to. Red cabbage is red in very acidic water, purple at neutral and blue at the alkaline end. Grapeseed extract is wonderful for this. Anyway, sorry brevity isn't my strong suit, back to Tracey's soap!

I've made her turmeric soap a few times, but, I do mine slightly different. I make oil infusions from my dry herbs and flowers. So, I tend to have a few bottles on the bung, ready to go. I infuse 500mls lots. This will sound weird but I also add vitamin E and about 2 tablespoons max with glycerine. I mix the (ground/powdered) herbs into the glycerine and vitamin e then mix that into the 500ml of oil and store (shaking a few times during 'cure') it in the cupboard with the infusion date and just to make it more confusing I only use olive oil or sweet almond for my infusions.

Anyway, what I have done with Tanya's recipe it make two batches at the same time one with olive infusion of turmeric and one with smoked paprika. I do strain the oil before using it and turmeric seems to give a lovely deep yellowy-light orange colour and smoked paprika gives this awesome red rust. I really like the turmeric and paprika colours in soap together. I do things like matcha, calendula, alkanet, chamomile, beetroot, kelp, spriulina, saffron, carrot powder (dehydrated then ground with coffee grinder, colour not great but fun), cocoa, roots, roots and more roots... the list goes on. I enjoy making infusions and extracts. There's something very um tactile? I've even tried to infuse kale (permie garden so we've had for 15 years but mainly for insect repellent) but I didn't like the result of the kale oil, I used it in the fly traps.

Sorry for rambling. I'm not good with brevity (and parentheses are fun) 😁🙃
Thanks for all the great ideas! Your garden sounds super nice. I hope to have a good garden at some point.

I have made 2 batches of Turmeric & Lemongrass Soap, and so far the colour is brilliant. No fading at all, and good depth of colour. This batch was made 3 March this year, and is still the same colour - I'm using it in the shower at the moment :) I used about 1 teaspoon of Turmeric per approx 1.2 pound (550g) of oils.

Attachments

• TurmericMar21.jpg
    TurmericMar21.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 27
I have made 2 batches of Turmeric & Lemongrass Soap, and so far the colour is brilliant. No fading at all, and good depth of colour. This batch was made 3 March this year, and is still the same colour - I'm using it in the shower at the moment :) I used about 1 teaspoon of Turmeric per approx 1.2 pound (550g) of oils.
It's beautiful! What is your method of coloring with turmeric? If you don't mind my asking?

Latest posts

Back