Turmeric & moringa soleseife

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
Soooo.....
View attachment 38981
Thickened up too quick before I could scrape the sides of my containers, hence the very sloppy tops. This is a soleseife, colored with turmeric and moringa (which seems to have disappeared underneath lol).
Unmolded and cleaned up!

The butterflies are extra batter.
The 8 bars on the left show the underside, which I like more than the tops of those particular bars.
The four on the right show the only tops that I liked lol

Trust me to get n ITP swirl wrong lol
_20190518_152302.JPG

I again used 10% vinegar here, and I believe it does help in lessening ash to some extent. I still got a light sprinkling, but nothing like one old soleseife that had centimeters of it.

Unmolded and cleaned up!

The butterflies are extra batter.
The 8 bars on the left show the underside, which I like more than the tops of those particular bars.
The four on the right show the only tops that I liked lol

Trust me to get n ITP swirl wrong lol
View attachment 38992
I again used 10% vinegar here, and I believe it does help in lessening ash to some extent. I still got a light sprinkling, but nothing like one old soleseife that had centimeters of it.

love the soft colors

Thanks guys!
I love these! You have a knack for making impressionistic/abstract designs in great color combos. :)

I need to learn why you added vinegar! Is it a soleseife thing?
I read somewhere that someone's soaps made with vinegar incidentally did not get ash compared to the same soap that used only water. I'll have to hunt that down lol but that's why I tried it.

It was just something they noticed after; they used a lot more vinegar, but for hardness.

And oh, the abstract stuff is what happens when my CP soap doesn't cooperate with me lol

Thanks guys!
I read somewhere that someone's soaps made with vinegar incidentally did not get ash compared to the same soap that used only water. I'll have to hunt that down lol but that's why I tried it.

It was just something they noticed after; they used a lot more vinegar, but for hardness.

And oh, the abstract stuff is what happens when my CP soap doesn't cooperate with me lol

Your soap is so pretty. Do you split the batter at a lite trace and then add in powered spices? I’m finding working with natural colors to be the most challenging part of the soaping process.

Your soap is so pretty. Do you split the batter at a lite trace and then add in powered spices? I’m finding working with natural colors to be the most challenging part of the soaping process.
Thank you!

Yes, natural colorants are challenging. They morph color, lighten when you want dark and vice versa, don't always mix in properly, accelerate trace, and so on but I have a lot of fun with them.

That's exactly what I did. My moringa thickened up the batter though so that part was thicker than the rest, and it glopped rather than poured. It's quite obvious on the 4 soaps on the right.

Thank you!

Yes, natural colorants are challenging. They morph color, lighten when you want dark and vice versa, don't always mix in properly, accelerate trace, and so on but I have a lot of fun with them.

That's exactly what I did. My moringa thickened up the batter though so that part was thicker than the rest, and it glopped rather than poured. It's quite obvious on the 4 soaps on the right.

Do you have any suggestions on using Alkanet or Madder Root powder? They don’t mix in like the powder spices do.
Sorry for the late response.. I've not yet tried alkanet, but I've read it behaves similarly to ratanjot, which I've tried.

I have madder root powder infusing in coconut oil (yes, it's always liquid in my kitchen) but I have yet to use it, sorry. But do a search and there's many who have tried it on the forum. Alkanet as well :)

Sorry for the late response.. I've not yet tried alkanet, but I've read it behaves similarly to ratanjot, which I've tried.

I have madder root powder infusing in coconut oil (yes, it's always liquid in my kitchen) but I have yet to use it, sorry. But do a search and there's many who have tried it on the forum. Alkanet as well :)
My coconut oil is liquid thru summer. I think I’ll try an infusion in it since it’s my only white oil.
Thank you.

Latest posts

Back