Turmeric Essential oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winusuren

Reaction score
I'm a new soap maker and I'm planning to make a CP soap with carrot puree and turmeric powder. I would like to add Turmeric essential oil in it but I don't find the scent very appealing. What eo blends well with Turmeric EO. Kindly give your valuable suggestions.

I would recommend infusing the tumeric powder in oil first and straining it out before adding to the soap batch. It can feel a little scratchy -- which would be okay if you're going for a scrubby type soap. I go to Eden Botanicals for help with use rates and with blending suggestions. Here's a link:

https://www.edenbotanicals.com/turmeric-organic.html

Last edited:
I use Tumeric EO strictly for coloring.
:thumbup: Good to know. Thanks!
Thank You.gif

I've bought turmeric EO and planning to blend it with Lemon EO. I've read somewhere that turmeric EO comes under the base note category. So just thought to give it a try.

I would recommend infusing the tumeric powder in oil first and straining it out before adding to the soap batch. It can feel a little scratchy -- which would be okay if you're going for a scrubby type soap. I go to Eden Botanicals for help with use rates and with blending suggestions. Here's a link:

https://www.edenbotanicals.com/turmeric-organic.html

Thank you so much for your reply. I'll infuse and strain the turmeric before use...

Could you tell me the usage rate or ratio and do you blends any other EOs along with the turmeric EO??

Turmeric Oil blends well with Ginger, Clove Bud, Cinnamon Bark, Nutmeg, and Clary Sage. You will need to do some testing to fix on a suitable formualation for the blend.
Clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg EOs are skin sensitizers and generally not suitable for soaps except in minute amounts.

Also, this thread is eight months old, and the person who asked hasn’t been in the forum since February, so the original question is no longer at issue. It is good to check those things before posting. 😊

Clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg EOs are skin sensitizers and generally not suitable for soaps except in minute amounts.
True. They are not only sensitizers but also "heaters" and tend to accelerate trace and may cause a batch to seize.

TIP: Mix up a batch of clove & cinnamon to keep handy on your scent shelf to add at 1% or so to a blend for a touch of spice. Comes in handy especially for Autumn and Holiday blends.

1 part Clove Bud EO +
3 parts Cinnamon Bark EO

Also, this thread is eight months old, and the person who asked hasn’t been in the forum since February, so the original question is no longer at issue.
AKA "Necroposting"
I see no harm in it as far as this topic is concerned.
This is JMHO, while "no longer an issue" it is an open-ended topic where additional posts may add to the discussion as long as they are on topic and it isn't considered "necroposting". Not sure. :smallshrug:

AKA "Necroposting" I see no harm in it as far as this topic is concerned.
This is JMHO, while "no longer an issue" it is an open-ended topic where additional posts may add to the discussion as long a they are on topic and it isn't considered "necroposting". Not sure. :smallshrug:
Necroposting doesn't bother me at all, but I think it is good for people new to the forum to be aware of dates when asking questions or offering advice on older threads.

"Necroposting" does bother me when the poster would be better off starting a new thread to ask a question, which isn't the case here. ;)

I'm a new soap maker and I'm planning to make a CP soap with carrot puree and turmeric powder. I would like to add Turmeric essential oil in it but I don't find the scent very appealing. What eo blends well with Turmeric EO. Kindly give your valuable suggestions.

Also, this thread is eight months old, and the person who asked hasn’t been in the forum since February, so the original question is no longer at issue. It is good to check those things before posting. 😊
I was surprised to here of a turmeric EO. I have only used it for color. I market my soap per event so I don’t get stuck with what eventually becomes laundry soap 😊

Also, keep in mind the staining factor which is a very real factor with Tumeric in EO form, infused form, or powder form. You do not want to ruin someone's sink, tub, or countertop, especially in an old bathroom with older fixtures.
I have turmeric infused olive oil that I was about to make soap with and remembered this post! Any idea how much of the infused oil I should use to get good color without causing yellow lather or staining?

I have no clue how much of the infused oil you could use, I am guessing you are going to have to judge the color of your batter. Sorry I was not much help, as I mentioned I only used Tumeric EO as a colorant and it is uber strong as far as coloring.

Ok, well I did run across an article on modern soapmaking where someone used freshly grated (mine is not fresh, it's powdered from my spice cabinet) turmeric infused olive oil at a rate of 30% of the total oils and the color looked good so I guess that's what I'll try.

Latest posts

Back