Turmeric and Calendula Soap Fragrance ideas?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - I want to get a batch of the above underway today or tomorrow. I have calendula petals that i was thinking I might scatter into the cavity molds before pouring the soap so that they are on top of the bar. And put a few ground ones in the bar itself with some turmeric powder.

However - what do I scent it with? I have some sweet orange EO here - but we all know how long that lasts. I have a ton of Litsea but don't want to use it for this soap as I've just done a castile with the same and I want this soap to be significantly different.

I want a delicate fragrance that 'goes with' the 'gentle' theme of the soap.

Palmarosa? Bergamot?

Any ideas most welcome.

Are you looking for EO's or FO's ? Your post is in the FO section, so wasn't sure what you use.

Hi - I want to get a batch of the above underway today or tomorrow. I have calendula petals that i was thinking I might scatter into the cavity molds before pouring the soap so that they are on top of the bar. And put a few ground ones in the bar itself with some turmeric powder.

However - what do I scent it with? I have some sweet orange EO here - but we all know how long that lasts. I have a ton of Litsea but don't want to use it for this soap as I've just done a castile with the same and I want this soap to be significantly different.

I want a delicate fragrance that 'goes with' the 'gentle' theme of the soap.

Palmarosa? Bergamot?

Any ideas most welcome.
With Bergamot, you have the issue with phototoxicity. Mandarin essential oil has a "softer" aroma than the orange and there's always grapefruit as well. Palmarosa would be a good choice as it's more of a "middle note" rather than the "top notes" of citrus so I would expect the fragrance to last longer. I've been using a lot of copaiba essential oil and that has more of a resinous fragrance. What essential oils do you have available? You could always look at mixing the essential oils, 1 part palmarosa with 3/4 parts citrus :)

I had a customer request Bergamot/Tangerine. I think it sounds great and it will be one of my first scents when I start making soap again but I might still try in a bubble bar before then

I've made it! I used Litsea 5g, Palmarosa 5g, Bergamot 10g and Neroli 5g. Phew - is it just me or is neroli STRONG! So much for a 'delicate' fragrance.

Neroli is strong, I've always loved it, but got some in a soap swap some time ago and never used it. To me it smelled off, like a strong urine smell :eek: .

The blend sounds very nice. I am a neroli lover!
It was almost as if it got stronger as I was mixing. Not so bad just in the measuring cup, then I added it, mixed it, split the batch and coloured, then as i was pouring it into the molds it was getting right up my nose! By the time i popped them in the oven it was almost overwhelming. And I didn't even use much! I quite like it too - but it flies in the face of of a lovely turmeric and calendula 'gentle' soap to have a strong smell. Wish I'd stuck with just the Palmarosa and Bergamot.

Latest posts

Back