Tunnel in middle of soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldensungod

Reaction score
Okay I made a batch of soap last afternoon(05/11/2015) and like I normally do with my soap(with a high solid oil %) I cut it just before a full day has passed. The first two slices went fine then on the 3 slice I noticed that there were some small bubble shaped holes in it with a tunnel in the unsliced mold that went to within a slice or two from the other end. As I cut the soap it released a few centiliter(1 cl=10 ml) of clear liquid that passed the zap test but still didn't feel like oil. I am wondering if this soap is still good to use or if I should rebatch. If rebatch what changes if any should I make to the soap. My recipe is:
757 g coconut oil
43 g canola oil (used to get it out of the house in a useful way)
116 g lye
300 ml water
I was aiming for a 20% SF(safe for all coconut oil and counteracts the high cleansing and rancidity factors) by inputting 80% of the weight for each oil in the calculator, then I used the full amount to get the range of liquid I should use. I used the max amount of liquid for the full amount of oil. I stick blended until thin trace Added quite a few drops(didn't count) of Peppermint EO and Tea Tree EO and then stick blended until trace, poured into my silicone mold put into 110 F oven on a cookie sheet(to try to gel) and left to rest over night. This is not my first batch(most likely 6th to 9th batch) and my first with the tunnel. In some parts of the tunnel there are small crystalline formations, is this lye, soap or something else.

Thanks for the replies. Are they safe to use as is or do they have to be rebatched? And for rebatching do you just chop it up very small/grate it and then heat until melted then pour into the mold, or are there additional steps? First time doing a rebatch.

Back