tumeric to color orange/cedar HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabadgley

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I was messing around with turmeric the other day to see how it looked in hot process soap to create a golden yellow color. It worked pretty well! I suspended 1 tsp turmeric in 2 tsp avocado oil for a 4.5 lb batch, added after the cook (and after turning the crock pot off), and stirred and stirred and stirred. I wasn't sure how long to stir because I didn't want the soap to cool off too much (still trying to figure that part out about HP - how long to stir and cool before adding EOs and glop into mold), but it looks like I could have stirred more to get it more uniform. Could even go with less turmeric for a less orange-y color, if I wanted. I think I like it like it is though.

I scented with orange, mandarin, and cedar EO's, and it's a pretty nice blend. I've heard a lot of folks say they like orange and cedar, but I wasn't sure what ratio to start with. Those of you who like citrus/cedar blends, what kinds of ratios do you use? I used 2:1 citrus to cedar:

3 pts cedar EO
2 pts mandarin EO
4 pts orange EO

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I'm always curious to see how colorants look in the finished product.

ooh i like it! I might try that next. I was hoping to make a citrus soap this weekend. i love citrus/cedar but am out of cedar, my fav is cedar and grapefruit.

I use Turmeric in CPOP. I add half as much straight into the lye water, looks great

Teresa

Back