Tube mold, in the pot and in the mold swirl test results, not great

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
So, as you can see I use a PVC tube mold. It is hard to get an even swirl in there and if I do it is $hit Luck :cool: as my 1st Blue one came out.

I got a great idea that if I had something cool to swirl with I would have it made.

I got (from the dollar store) a Whisk and Spaghetti spoon, both plastic. Thought both would give a neat looking swirl. Not exactly.

Because this is a Salt bar I decided to have the swirl makers IN the mold first them pull them out while twisting. Sounded good in theory and maybe I just need to perfect it.

1st one I had the Whisk in poured the base then the color in from a height so it would go down. As you can see the color didn't go too deep as the only ones colored were the top 1/2. The top half came out good :) but the bottom was just white so I didn't put them in the picture. To be honest I did it this way because I forgot to do it in the pot.
20180408_181729[1].jpg

2nd batch I remembered to put the color IN the pot with the base THEN pour into Mold. Spaghetti spoon in the bottom of mold. Not very even.
Pic is of 4 pieces, the other 4 are the other side of them.
20180408_182126[1].jpg

The other thing to consider is that you're (mostly) slicing your rounds along the length of the tube. You might see different results from your swirling if you slice the tube into rounds. I'd say in general, slices that go across the path of the swirling object (whisk, etc.) are usually more swirly. Slices that go along the direction of the swirling object are more static.

Ahh I see. I was doing rounds, but I like how this shape fits better.
It's a pain in the arse to do this as they are all cut each by hand. But I think it makes them special.

Tomorrow I will try to do in the pot and a stick to swirl in the tube. It may come out different

Better ! Course it was a huge FO discolor of Mauve at first :eek: I had a Blue swirl in mind. FO was Wranger Butt (leather scent).
I did the Blue mix in 1/2 anyway.
By the time I had that mixed, the Mauve was thick pudding. I poured both at the same time, very slow with the blue (which looked grey gross) as it was thinner.
Then grabbed a wooden thick stick, like 2 paint stirrers thick.
Came out good but wonder what the finished color will be :smallshrug:
20180409_114417[1].jpg

Back