TS mold from NS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had my heart set on the ts mold from ns that has a lid, but it's out of stock, but the one without the lid is available. Is it worth it to wait for the other one to come back in stock, or is the no-lid one worth it. They are the same size.

Or does anybody have another suggestion for another ts mold with a lid?

I haven't found any molds that I like as well as NS. I have the 4.5 lb T&S mold with a lid, and it is my favorite because it makes the same size bars as my loaf molds. But, since I don't always want to make 4.5 lbs of soap, I also bought the narrower 2.5 lb T&S mold without the lid and the acrylic piece that would be a replacement lid for the one that comes with a lid and that works for me. For my molds that don't have a lid, I just use a piece of cardboard to protect the top before I set it on the heating pad and wrap with the blanket. That's probably not helpful - so to answer your question, if you are really antsy to get the mold you can make the one without a lid work. The lid is really nice to have, but not necessary.

@Catscankim, I had the same predicament as you two days ago. I have Nurture's silicone TS mold, but I have had a terrible time with the soaps, no matter what the recipe, firming up and coming out cleanly. I really wanted a TS mold to do my Christmas soaps, because as much as I love using my small, square loaf mold or the regular mold, the bars are too big and wide to be really comfortable.

I bought the the one w/o the lid, because as I said, I wanted to do my Christmas soaps, and didn't want to wait much longer. I mostly cover to keep air out to avoid ash, not to gel my soap, so although the lid would have been nice, I didn't think it was worth waiting for.

Unlike Peachy, patience is not my strong suit these days.

I have a ts from Work Shop Heritage that has a lid and I particularly love their silicone molds because they are easy to peel off the loaves.

I've never purchased a lid. Originally I didn't understand why I would want it, then I couldn't justify the additional cost. I could always find something around the house, or stack another mold on top whenever it was needed. I wouldn't be able to wait for them to come back in stock, either.

Maybe send an email asking when they expect to have them restocked & consider if you can wait that long? Their molds look amazing & I'm looking forward to the day I can justify the cost.

So it arrived, and I've made a batch of soap.

However, I didn't realize the silicone was so thick. I have her freestanding silicone mold. I got the wood mold lined with silicone because I've seen a lot of soap videos where the silicone is just peeled off the log, which looks infinitely easier than me struggling (and often failing) to get the loaf of soap out of the thick silicone mold cleanly.

But this is THICK silicone, does not look "peelable."

@dibbles -- any tips for me? Have you (or anyone else with this mold) had any issues?

@Carly B the silicone is quite sturdy, and that is one thing I like about it. It doesn't 'peel' away from the soap in the sense that you can turn it inside out as you are taking the mold off the soap. Once your soap is hard enough to remove from the mold, you can release it (loosen it) from all four sides by pulling it away. I usually don't fill my mold to the tippy top and turn it over and press on the bottom to loosen it from there, and do the same when the mold is full as well. Sometimes the weight of the soap will just allow it to drop out of the mold by holding it a couple of inches above the table and pressing on the bottom, but I usually have to hold the sides away from the soap and encourage the progress. It should get easier for you after you've done it a couple of times. It's worth the effort IMO. I had a 'peelable' liner rip - without aggressively pulling on it.

Thanks, @dibbles. There are always trade offs--the ones you peel off like banana peels looked appealing, because the T/S one I have in all silicone can be very difficult to unmold. Most of my recent batches in that mold have had mushy corners. Trying to force them out of that hard mold didn't help. I thought if I could just peel the silicone off, it would work better.

But I really think it goes back to my lack of patience. I'm sure if I would have waited another day, they would have unmolded better than they did. I'm going to try really hard to not unmold this to early. Wish me luck!

Thank you so much for this thread, I had ordered the same moulds some time ago and mine finally arrived. I too am apprehensive at the thickness of the silicone. Thank you Dibbles, I’ll be sure to use your kind advice.
@CarlyB, I hope it turns out well. Please post your pics.

Thank you so much for this thread, I had ordered the same moulds some time ago and mine finally arrived. I too am apprehensive at the thickness of the silicone. Thank you Dibbles, I’ll be sure to use your kind advice.
@CarlyB, I hope it turns out well. Please post your pics.

@dibbles, I almost always use SL, in fact, I think the problem with the last crumbly soap was that I may have added too much. And I never "try" to gel--but I think this one did because I could feel warmth through the wood last night. I thought about leaving it in the mold all day today, but I was impatient, and unmolded this morning. Thank you for your guidance.

@bookworm - It came out perfectly. I still can't do a drop swirl (I forgot that the fragrance accelerated slightly), but I am VERY happy with it. It will be a shame to bevel those clean edges, but that's next.

1631368727745.png

I am VERY happy with that mold. I've made three batches, and each has come out beautifully. It's by far my favorite mold. Since I do this as a hobby, outside of the holidays, I generally make soap in my small square silicone loaf mold or individual molds which takes less than a pound of oils. I would love something like this at half the length, too. The workmanship is good and it's so easy to use.

So it arrived, and I've made a batch of soap.

However, I didn't realize the silicone was so thick. I have her freestanding silicone mold. I got the wood mold lined with silicone because I've seen a lot of soap videos where the silicone is just peeled off the log, which looks infinitely easier than me struggling (and often failing) to get the loaf of soap out of the thick silicone mold cleanly.

But this is THICK silicone, does not look "peelable."

@dibbles -- any tips for me? Have you (or anyone else with this mold) had any issues?

I’m late to the party, but I almost exclusively use these molds. They are my very most favorite!

I use a heavy handed amount of Sodium Lactate, CPOP them, and unmold in 10-12 hours typically.
I flip them Upside down, unseal/stick the sides from the soap by carefully popping the bottom corners with my thumbs.

Once I feel the soap loosen, I just hold it upside down over a towel on my counter and wait. They usually pop themselves right out.

I find with the thick Nurture silicone to unmold I turn it upside down then peel all the sides away and usually the bottom follows with little resistance. I definitely recommend using sodium lactate with their molds.

Back