Trying to get the best recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found lard can get a bit of a smelly if overheated. Otherwise no issues. The dry feeling is likely from the CO. I don't go over 23% usually but I love the combination of CO and PKO and use it most times. You may also want to up your SF a bit, I don't go below 5%. Of course it's always personal choices and what works best for each person.

<-has made bacon scented soap

I also want to point out that the best soaps I have made are from recipes I made up myself. If you are serious about soaping you must learn to formulate your own recipes. Then you can much more easily troubleshoot.

The only time I had issue with smelly lard was when I got it too hot while melting. Otherwise it smells fine, and what little odor might be present cures out well.-Brenda

Hello, Lardy, my old friend. I've come to soap with you again. Because my SoapCalc needs 'creamy', and your lather is so dreamy. And the swirls I envision in my brain, still remain While I soap in silence.

Brava, molto brava!

You say bacony like it's a bad thing, lol.

Hahaha. It can be if you dont want to smell like bacon.

I made a 65 or 70% lard soap that for ages I'm sure smelt all piggy even with the strong dose of FO i used. its been about 8 months now and I really like the soap now. I think I can still smell the pigginess under the fo but everyone else cant smell it. must be my brain

Oh and Marco, that recipe you posted? If I use 30% coconut oil, I have to up the superfat to 6-7%. So yes, in my opinion that's a drying recipe, especially with only 4% superfat.

And seeing how superfat inhibits lather, it makes more sense to lower the coconut. That said, I think it's Irish Lass who likes 20-25% coconut and 5% superfat? It's all so personal, that's why there are so many recipes.

Back