Trying to find my soaping mojo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilyJo

Reaction score
Since I stopped soaping about a year ago I have completely lost my soaping mojo and all confidence in my ability to determine what makes a good or bad soap.

In the past we've always used quite high CO but with my sons severe eczema I wanted to try and find something a bit kinder to his skin.

So, I've been playing with soap recipes and have come up with

200g CO
300g Olive
200g Shea
120g Rice Bran
80g Castor
100g Cocoa

I have read and reread the guides and notes but it's just not going in, at the risk of asking for trouble can you tell me what's wrong with this? I need something palm free and vegan so those options are out for me.

Have considered jojoba, avocado, soy wax as well as butters so open to any ideas if anyone feels generous.

Thanks

Here's what I found when I added your numbers to SoapCalc...

Attachments

• 4CC05752-3195-486C-B555-C4C15B5E7791.png
    4CC05752-3195-486C-B555-C4C15B5E7791.png
    317.2 KB · Views: 51
This is what I would do for someone with severe eczema, which I have, using what you mention for oils if you want a long-lasting bar.
RBO 18 %
Soy wax 20%
Avo Oil 20%
CO 17%
Shea Butter 10%
Cocoa Butter 10%
Castor 5%
Of course, there is room for tweaking.

If you have soribtol I would add it in at 1.1% or use sugar, also I would go with 95% NaOH and 5% KOH since this is a hard bar.

Suggest consider if person with eczema has any allergies to soap ingredients. I’m new to soaping, but am working with an allergist to figure out something causing my skin to react. I suspect a soap ingredient.

Suggest consider if person with eczema has any allergies to soap ingredients. I’m new to soaping, but am working with an allergist to figure out something causing my skin to react. I suspect a soap ingredient.

Pretty sure it's not soap related but thanks.

This is what I would do for someone with severe eczema, which I have, using what you mention for oils if you want a long-lasting bar.
RBO 18 %
Soy wax 20%
Avo Oil 20%
CO 17%
Shea Butter 10%
Cocoa Butter 10%
Castor 5%
Of course, there is room for tweaking.

If you have soribtol I would add it in at 1.1% or use sugar, also I would go with 95% NaOH and 5% KOH since this is a hard bar.

Thank you so much will give it a go, just need to get my confidence back

Last edited by a moderator:
You will get it back LilyJo :nodding:

The problem is, once soap is soap the ingredients have changed.
The problem with narrowing soap ingredients is the fact we just do not know what properties survive the lye monster. Unless a high superfat is used there should not be much left in free oil. I have severe eczema and anything other than just water can be irritating at times. The other issue is not all eczema is Atopic, so it is not necessarily flared up from contact. For most eczema issues one just wants to find what will not irritate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is, once soap is soap the ingredients have changed.
The problem with narrowing soap ingredients is the fact we just do not know what properties survive the lye monster. Unless a high superfat is used there should not be much left in free oil. I have severe eczema and anything other than just water can be irritating at times. The other issue is not all eczema is Atopic, so it is not necessarily flared up from contact. For most eczema issues one just wants to find what will not irritate it.

I agree so much. On a bad day, water makes his eczema flare up more than anything else! You are so right, it's about finding the least irritating thing depending on if it's a good or bad day.

My suspicion is that his is food related but right now we dont know what ingredient is the culprit (our gp thinks its a preservative) so it's about managing day to day, hence trying to find a soap he can use, at least so he of the time!

Cant wait to try soaping tomorrow, will let you know how I get on.

So, made the soap two weeks ago and went off on holiday...got back yesterday and tried the soap today.

I know it's only two weeks old but right now it's looking and feeling amazing. Will give it another month before final judgement but feeling good about this.

Thank you @cmzaha

Hi LilyJo,

You could also try Zany's No-Slime Castile? It's easy peasy and very gentle.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-no-slime-castile.72620/ I always add 10% coconut oil and 5 % castor to mine.

For my regular vegan recipe I use:
20% each Coconut, Soy Wax, OO, RBO
10% Shea
5% each avocado and castor

I find cocoa butter too expensive to use any more.

Latest posts

Back