Trying to find a solution to sticky molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yavimaya

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I had bought a mold from http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-5-Lb-NO-LINER-SOAP-MOLDS-Wooden-Lids-Cutters-Avail-/160674127407. It was a great mold but I do have problems. My soap sticks around the plastic mold even though I use petroleum jelly on it.

My formulation is: 40% olive oil, 30% palm oil, 30% coconut oil, honey (2 tsp in 1.8kgs of total oils), 2 tbsp brown sugar (hardening/lather) and 55g peppermint oil. 4.5% superfat.

After 2 days (48 hrs) the soap still sticks to the mold. I did try to refrigerate the whole mold but still it doesnt pop out that easy. Do I need to add sodium lactate to my formulation at 1tsp PPO? how about using calcium lactate as a replacement for sodium lactate?
Maybe adding beeswax might help? Or perhaps a simple 50:50 salt solution will do the trick?
Should I line the mold with freezer/parchment paper? Or shall I replace petroleum jelly with mineral oil? How about using a clear packaging tape as liner? Thank you very much for your help!

Respectfully,
Yavi:)

I have the same molds and ended up lining with freezer paper. If I did not use freezer paper, I removed the screws (after setting up for 24 hours) and ran a plastering blade down the side to cut the soap away from the mold - I found the blade at Home Depot and it is a flat, thin blade about 16 inches long. If I did not hold it perfectly straight, I cut into the soap. So freezer paper or precut wax paper squares work well for lining - just makes it easier to remove the soap. I recently bought the soap cutter from him, also, and I love it.

You might try using a piece of cardboard or Mylar cut to the dimension of the bottom and just line the bottom and sides with freezer paper (just one piece of paper.) Leave the ends unwrapped.

There have been numerous complaints about those molds. They do require lining, despite the claims to the contrary.

I'm so sorry to hear about your problem. It's frustrating to pay good money and end up with a product that doesn't live up to it's promise. Can you contact Ebay and see if they can resolve the problem for you?

Silicone molds are not cheap, but they're worth their weight in gold. I would watch for sales and buy one when you can afford it. You'll never regret it. Good luck to you!

sili molds dont have to be expensive. mine are 15-20 bucks from etsy plus shipping. they're doing great so far. if you want to save more money, just get the sili and make your own box.

These are the only mold I use for my regular soaps and I can tell you they have to be lined. The only way those puppies are going to work with no lining is to let your soap stay in the mold long enough to start shrinking and then I am not sure it would release. I love my hdpe molds and just know I have to line them. If you watch is video you will see he suggest using a liner. I like them because I can take them apart and wash them. I doubt Ebay will do anything, since he does tell you how to make them work with no liner. You are just going to have to tie up our molds for a long time. Freezer paper works great. I happen to be the real oddball that hates silicone molds other than single cavity silicone molds. I like to pull my soap in a few hours (less than 24) and silicone just does not let me do that

I like to pull my soap in a few hours (less than 24) and silicone just does not let me do that

Carolyn, the only time I've had any difficulty whatsoever removing my soap from my silicone molds is if they don't gel. Then it can take days before they want to come out. Since I discovered that, I prewarm the mold, pour the soap, return it to the warm oven, turn it off and leave it overnight to insure gel. When I remove it, it's never a full 24 hours, and it pops out easy as you please. I think gelling is the key factor.

I have just bought the exact same molds. You need a liner - there is no way it is working without. His youtube video does demonstrate his idea of a paper lining 'slip'.

It is very naughty advertising them as no liner!

Oh yes. I've used cling wrap to line the ones I've gotten from Michael's that are very similair (I think they're just smaller then the ones you have.) The one's I got from Michael's are advertised for melt & pour soap, so maybe they can get away with no lining. I tried once to use no lining & ended up having to pop it in the freezer for a bit & still some of the soap pulled away when unmolding, but not too much to complain about really.

maybe you should lining them.

I use wooden mold so I always lining my mold.
I always lining my mold using plastic layered paper. A brown colored paper with a plastic layered side and non-plastic-layered side.

So I don't even need any sili mold.

Thank you for the replies guys/gals :) I will line the mold the next time I use it. By the way does using beeswax or butters help a soap less sticky to HDPE molds? Has anyone tried this at all? Have a great day everyone! Happy Soaping!

Cheers,
yavi

Back