Trying to achieve red in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy von Elling

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have tried twice to make a Christmas soap. I purchased the really red (water soluble) from Windy point in Calgary/Canada. I think maybe this is different to the really red from Nurture soap. At first the soap colour is a beautiful Christmas red but then after a few hours it changes to brown. I'm not sure if maybe gelling it or not gelling it would make a difference. Hoping someone here can advise me on how to actually achieve a nice red in soap making. Thanks in advance :)

What kind of color is it? Is it meant for CP soap?
I don't have very much experience in this, but not every kind of color works with the high pH of soap, so you should double check whether your color is meant for that (and not just for other kinds of cosmetics).
If it is meant for CP, can you maybe try using a bit more?

I don't have very much experience in this, but not every kind of color works with the high pH of soap, so you should double check whether your color is meant for that (and not just for other kinds of cosmetics).

I will be more careful from now on. I made gingerbread men to go with this soap and I put so much time and energy into this - I am disappointed. I just checked their website and it says it may bleed but nothing else. Says it can be used in soap too. I was in the store talking to the sales front desk person who suggested this to me! That's why I am surprised as I didn't purchase this online!
Thanks for your comment - )

I will try to use more next time - that is a good idea. I will call them and ask them about it too!
Thanks!

I don’t have much experience with any soap colorants, but I have used micas, including the Nuture True Red trio described here: https://nurturesoap.com/products/true-red-trio. I’ve used it a few times now with good results. You can see one example, here.

I had gone to Windy point because it's local and I don't have to pay a huge amount of dollars getting the colour from the USA to Canada. But I'm thinking the one from Nuture or even Mad Micas is a good idea!

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I have heard, Windy point is a reputable supplier, so they should give you good information. You should check whether they say it is good for *CP* soap (some colors may work in melt-and-pour but not in CP, etc.). If they say it is and it doesn't work -- well, then you can write a bad review on it (but I know that doesn't help with the soap itself :( ).

ETA: Obsidian is right, it could also be the scent. (Vanillin? That turns things brown.)

Was the soap all red or was there other colors? I'm wondering if you used a scent that discolors?

I will check the fragrance oil. It did do this with a peppermint oil last time though and there is for sure no vanilla in that which is why after this time I decided to ask if it could be another thing. Thanks.

I will check the fragrance oil. It did do this with a peppermint oil last time though and there is for sure no vanilla in that which is why after this time I decided to ask if it could be another thing. Thanks.

The green is still a green as far as I can see. It could change though I guess.

As far as I have heard, Windy point is a reputable supplier, so they should give you good information. You should check whether they say it is good for *CP* soap (some colors may work in melt-and-pour but not in CP, etc.). If they say it is and it doesn't work -- well, then you can write a bad review on it (but I know that doesn't help with the soap itself :( ).

ETA: Obsidian is right, it could also be the scent. (Vanillin? That turns things brown.)

Yes Windy point is awesome and use good suppliers. They have sold me the wrong thing ( meant to be for bath bombs to mix with my neons) once before so maybe not all their staff know and the difference between what we colour MP soap and cold process can be easily confused for someone new. I do get most of my supplies from there and am always happy. Even if this isn't meant for cold process I am still happy with them but do think they should say on their bottle if it's meant for cold process or not. On their website I'm not seeing it isn't for cold process soap or MP but says 'can be used in soap' which doesn't really differentiate. There are no reviews on most of their colourants.

I'll check the fragrance oil. It could absolutely be the scent. The green still looks green but I know sometimes it changes with time. Thanks for the comment and support.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had gone to Windy point because it's local and I don't have to pay a huge amount of dollars getting the colour from the USA to Canada. But I'm thinking the one from Nuture or even Mad Micas is a good idea!

I' pretty sure Mad Micas pioneered the True Red Set three color mix. Nuture soap is ripping off the concept that a lady named Nicki developed and shared on the Mad Micas Buzz page on Facebook. She does all kinds of color experimentation. I've used the true red set on a few soaps. The Brazen Hussy of the trio is a little tricky as it likes to leave little tiny pink clumps but I've only had issues with it once when I didn't know to really blend the heck out of it beforehand.

The only way I've been able to get a real true Christmas red by mixing my own, is to use Neon Pink with a touch of red oxide. However, if you look into Mad Mica's they have a "true red set" that consists of mixing 3 mica colorants (comes in the sets) and it comes out a true crimson Christmas red every single time. And Mad Mica's ships internationally.
They are out of Florida US

I really like Wilton icing color. Look for the one that contains Red #40.

Was it peppermint essential oil? Or peppermint fragrance oil? Most peppermint FOs seem to have vanillin in them.

I' pretty sure Mad Micas pioneered the True Red Set three color mix. Nuture soap is ripping off the concept that a lady named Nicki developed and shared on the Mad Micas Buzz page on Facebook. She does all kinds of color experimentation. I've used the true red set on a few soaps. The Brazen Hussy of the trio is a little tricky as it likes to leave little tiny pink clumps but I've only had issues with it once when I didn't know to really blend the heck out of it beforehand.
EEEkkkk...please don't bring that DRAMA in here...this has been going on for a while...I don't think this is the place for it.

Last edited:
... Edit - nevermind, I really should read before responding. So sorry @Megan
It's okay, I didn't see your original post anyway...I think there are a lot of hurt feelings on both sides of that fight and I just think suggestions based on personal experience rather than attacks or accusations one way or the other is probably better.

Nurture has a new red. I haven't tried this one yet, but knowing the obsession Carrie Thornsbury (owner) has for a true red and how hard she has worked to achieve it I would use it without reservation. It will be in my cart the next time I place an order.

https://nurturesoap.com/products/trial-by-fire-red-mica

I actually just ordered this color two days ago I'm looking forward to trying it out as soon as it arrives

Latest posts

Back