Trying spider silk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Auntie Clara wrote an article about harvesting her own snail slime for soap: Snail Soap
Just looked up snail slime properties. It's pretty amazing stuff.

"Snail mucus is composed of ingredients such as Proteins (Collagen and Elastin), Hyaluronic acid, Copper peptides, Antimicrobial peptides, Antioxidants, Glycolic acid, Allantoin, and more. All of these components are beneficial for your skin in different aspects – that’s what gives snail mucin its many benefits."

Me! I want to see them! But for @Catscankim and @cerelife you probably should put them in their own post with a trigger warning in the title. 😂
Yeah, we have crazy spiders down south. Grove spiders, wood spiders, black widows, brown recluse spiders.My parents' house where I grew up was surrounded by 20 acres of woods and pasture and the wood spiders (I don't know any other name for them) were nightmare creatures. They were the size of your hand and carried the baby spider on their backs/legs so they looked like tarantulas to me. Nothing like taking a relaxing dip in the pool only to feel something touch your back and turn around to find this freaking octopus of a spider behind you...I levitated out of the deep end of the pool exactly once before I learned to check that whole pool for spiders for the rest of my life!!
And the first time I met my husband's extended family in Florida they took me on a tour of their citrus groves. Holy Cannoli!! Grove spiders are shiny plastic-looking Wood Spiders!!! I walked into a web and was face to face with one of those beasts and ran screaming back to the edge of the groves.

Yeah, we have crazy spiders down south. Grove spiders, wood spiders, black widows, brown recluse spiders.My parents' house where I grew up was surrounded by 20 acres of woods and pasture and the wood spiders (I don't know any other name for them) were nightmare creatures. They were the size of your hand and carried the baby spider on their backs/legs so they looked like tarantulas to me. Nothing like taking a relaxing dip in the pool only to feel something touch your back and turn around to find this freaking octopus of a spider behind you...I levitated out of the deep end of the pool exactly once before I learned to check that whole pool for spiders for the rest of my life!!
And the first time I met my husband's extended family in Florida they took me on a tour of their citrus groves. Holy Cannoli!! Grove spiders are shiny plastic-looking Wood Spiders!!! I walked into a web and was face to face with one of those beasts and ran screaming back to the edge of the groves.

I can't believe this!
I bought dried flowers from Amazon a few weeks ago. Look what was in the bag.
I am horrified! And what a coincidence! :nonono:
In case you can't see it, it is a snail shell, glad it was empty.

Attachments

• snail in jasmine.jpg
    snail in jasmine.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 0
Yes! Ages ago. Dried corn silk in soap has long been an option to tussah silk. Gives the same "silky" feel. Chop to a fine powder and add to lye solution.. :thumbup:

@earlene or @DeeAnna might know more about its use in soap. I only tried it once.
I used some tonight-I added it to the water before lye. It didn’t fully dissolve, so I had to strain it out. Is this because it’s not dry enough? Should I have pulverized it in a spice grinder or pestle first? Thank you

Nope not for me at all! Lol 🤣. I really don't like spiders or webs so this one is out of the question for me, it's on my not to do list along with jumping out of a plane Lol. Corn silk sounds interesting to me though!

Back