Trying something different...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
I'm trying a CO free soap for the first time and I'm wondering what are the thoughts on the recipe (see image).
I know that many will question the use of both palm oil and lard but I happen to like the combo and it makes for a really nice and hard bar (at least in my opinion).
I plan to add 4 oz. coconut milk (discounting 4oz. from the water), 4 tbsp sugar to the lye water, bentonite clay and sodium lactate.

Thanks!

No CO.jpg

Last edited:
I say go for it. I'd have no problems using that soap, especially in winter. As always, I just recommend making a small batch until you know you like it.

As there is no "bubbly" oil I would be tempted to drop the shea and add the difference in to the lard and/or palm - with coconut the bubble-reducing effect of butters is only noticeable at higher amounts but I wonder if even 10% in this recipe would hamper what bubbles might come. Could be another variation for experimentation?

I made a recipe once with no coconut, olive or palm (it's posted here). I dug out the recipe tonight - it actually had 20% shea, 35% lard and of course sugar. I don't recall my thoughts about it (other than not liking it for face soap), but a friend of mine specifically asked for more even though I also gave her more balanced bars. My guess is the bubbles couldn't have been that bad, or she probably wouldn't have raved about it.

As there is no "bubbly" oil I would be tempted to drop the shea and add the difference in to the lard and/or palm - with coconut the bubble-reducing effect of butters is only noticeable at higher amounts but I wonder if even 10% in this recipe would hamper what bubbles might come. Could be another variation for experimentation?

^^I would do this. I might raise that superfat up to 5%, also, but that is just my winter dry skin talking.

I like your recipe but I think you should try it with and without the Shea and see which version you like better. Using Shea would probably make it super creamy (or maybe too creamy depending on your preference).

I make a really nice soap for my young son that is CO free and has a wonderful, creamy lather that doesn't dry out his skin. I use 6% superfat and goat's milk in place of the water.

Avocado - 10%
Castor - 10%
Rice Bran - 20%
Lard - 60%

Try it as written first - I think it would be nice too.
I made a soap with
OO 45%
Palm 20%
Coconut 20%
Shea 10%
castor 5%
4% SF
With avocado pulp instead of water and french green clay, and its a really really nice soap that I am hoarding now. So I think you're onto something. Though given the choice between palm and lard, I always choose lard :) This one was for my veggie friends.

Last edited:
Back