trying something different... help please!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoiPoloi

Reaction score
I was going to try this......

Olive 55%
Palm 12%
Coconut (76) 12%
Sunflower 15%
Shea 6%

I've never used Sunflower before so I thought I would try something new for a change! Any feedback on Sunflower or this mix would be great! Thought it might be more mild for the approaching winter months. (Ugh, winter) Thanks!!

I strongly recommend high oleic sunflower oil over the regular (low or mid oleic).

I have used HO sunflower (and HO safflower) too and like it very well. f I were to make this recipe, I would use HO sunflower or olive, but not both, unless I didn't have enough of one to make the batch. They're a lot alike, so no point in using two oils where one will do -- I would combine the sunflower % and the olive % into one.

Ah, I see, I did not know that! I have not worked with Sunflower before. I "read" someplace to not use more than 15% of it in soap, that is why I asked. But if it's on the internet it must be true, right????? LOL!!! Thanks again!!!!

Normal sunflower is best to use at a lower amount but HO (high oleic) sunflower is ok at higher percentages. I've recently started using HO safflower in place of OO and quite like it.

Obsidian is right.

To tell the difference, check the label for phrases such as "good for frying or sauteeing" or even "high oleic," both of which will tell you the oil is a high oleic version. If you don't see any helpful information like that, then look at the nutrition information. If the monounsaturated fat is 75% or more of the total fat, the oil is high oleic.

More: http://classicbells.com/soap/highOleic.html

Thank you DeeAnna! I did a quick search thinking I would find a listing for HO oil vs. just Sunflower oil and didn't see any difference online. I had just bought some to cook with and as you guys know, you can't cook with oil now without thinking, hmmm... how would this work in soap?? LOL!!! I think I'll give this a whirl!! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back