Trying not to laugh out loud at work

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am a programmer, and like to have something playing in my headphones so I can drown out the annoying co-workers around me... (stories for another day).

So I listen to alot of Audible books. I just got the newest Patricia Briggs book - Fire Touched, a Mercy Thompson book. In the first chapter the protagonist is ambushed by a woman selling 'All Natural Essential Oils'. It is obvious Ms Briggs is NOT a fan of Do-Terra or Young Living.

I wonder how all the testers the rep is opening is going to effect all the werewolves in the house.... Hahah.

OMG -- you can program and listen to a story??? I'm truly impressed. I can't split my thinking very well -- one thing at a time is my usual.

OMG -- you can program and listen to a story??? I'm truly impressed. I can't split my thinking very well -- one thing at a time is my usual.

Yes, as long as the story is not too complicated. And there are times I have to turn it off when I hit a sticky part.

But there are also times I am doing brainless stuff. extracting data from tables and comparing things. Watching processes run... It is not all like you see on tv

Point taken there -- I know what you mean. I take care of about 7 PCs between my biz, home, and DH's biz. I often have to clean up after people who don't think they need to say "OK" to the automated maintenance and backup software I try to keep running on their systems. By the time they call me to complain about the problems that have accumulated, it takes forever to fix, but it's a huge amount of hurry-up-and-wait kind of boring stuff.

Part of my job is also monumentally boring (add 2 numbers, plug into field A, plug one of the original numbers is field B, make sure field C calculates correctly). I'm way more productive if I listen to a book because I'm not drawn into conversations.

The favorite part of my job is the most monumentally boring and monotonous part because I can listed to books while I do it. I try to save this part for the third and fourth weeks of the month. I can usually listen to three or four books if I work it right!

Dang, dude! That's you? I had no idea! Let's do lunch tomorrow.

Teresa, you seriously kill me!!! I'm ROTFL, tears running and Coors Light sprayed on my lap. Cats and dogs are staring at me wondering if I'm going into cardiac arrest. DH just turned up the volume on the TV. Yes, I find my joy where I can get it so thanks for that!

KC, I'm a SERIOUS audiobook-aholic too. I blame my dad for the gift. I just love "watching a movie in my head" while vacuuming, washing the car, driving, gardening, etc. I turn it off while soaping though. I could see me pouring in 20 oz of oil when the recipe calls for 10.2 because the story is at it's climactic creshendo!

kc - at least I know I'm not alone in cubi-cell land using headphones as a defense mechanism! I sit one row over from something that closely resembles a cackling hyena. As soon as she starts a conference call it's like her voice cranks up to max volume. I just cringe, immediately apply the headphones and select something appropriately headbanger-ish to cancel her out! I wish you & Teresa were my cubi-cellmates . . . we could drown out the hyena with soap talk :twisted:

I'd never listen while soaping. That takes more concentration than coding. Haha.

Teresa, I wish you sat behind me. That woman is an annoying know it all.

Oh... The know-it-all Hyena Lady... I thought I was bad when anything random happens and it reminds me of something funny that I came across (ex- some guy making jokes Gabriel Iglesias style). I would be laughing my core stong for a few minutes.

Back