Trying new stuff (for me!)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orebma

Reaction score
I just did my first attempt at achieving a pattern like woodgrain. I'm really happy with how the actual design making went and how it turned out. I decided to start trying the colours (Yup - I know it should have been browns etc )but I have more blues and pale pink than brown and just wanted to learn and try the technique. I wish I'd used my browns now but I still like it.
I was so intent on the mixing of colours and technique that I forgot the essential oils - duhhhh!
One hiccup though - I added some kaolin clay and noticed slight crumbling in one part of the blue at the bottom - other than that I can't wait to see how it cures! Sorry for my lack of photography skills :)

Attachments

• 20210829_200816.jpg
    20210829_200816.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210829_183840.jpg
    20210829_183840.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 26
Very beautiful swirl! Indeed wood isn't my first association, but the choice of colours is to blame for that. I like it still, but see it just as an abstract decoration, FWIW you don't need to be over-ambitious to get that prefect bar of soap that is indistinguishable from a log of wood.

Regarding the kaolin: have you soaked it? Quite some folks pre-soak kaolin/clay in EO/FO (more with scent retention in mind, but it can't hurt with even distribution, and if you are one of the “I forgot the scent” fellows).

Very beautiful swirl! Indeed wood isn't my first association, but the choice of colours is to blame for that. I like it still, but see it just as an abstract decoration, FWIW you don't need to be over-ambitious to get that prefect bar of soap that is indistinguishable from a log of wood.

Regarding the kaolin: have you soaked it? Quite some folks pre-soak kaolin/clay in EO/FO (more with scent retention in mind, but it can't hurt with even distribution, and if you are one of the “I forgot the scent” fellows).

Thank you :) Soaking the kaolin - I've never heard that before - will research forums!

Pretty! I've been thinking of adding kaolin clay to soap, but I don't know how much to use. Any thought? How much did you use in relation to the rest of your recipe?

I've seen people add the kaolin clay to their lye-water solution as a presoak. Anyone else have experience doing this?

Back