Trying Lard on soap. Starting from scratch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you buy your soap racks?

Yes I have made so far around 7 batches (1 per week) and I can't wait to make even more with new ingredients/mixes.

CuringSoap.jpg

As for molds I'm planning on making custom silicone molds from object/toys after reading this link.

Well for me it was also a bit difficult to find leaf lard as I had to ask many butchers, to finally find one that could give a small quantity. The Athens Central Market were someone can find many butcher-shops together, they don't give their "meat waste" to people, but they must give it to a company that processes such food to create animal foods.

Where did you buy your soap racks?

They are custom made. I just bought barbecue racks and with some screw bolts I made these curing racks...

Again I would suggest not mixing palm and lard but rather use oo in place of the palm

Will there be something very weird if I mix lard and palm together? OO will be used for sure when the total palm/lard will be 50%. I'm just breaking down the 70% lard to lard and palm... just for the sake of experimentation, as I have also done the same for some recipes at coconut and palm kernel.

This is the reason I'm happy today!

lard_23.jpg

Last edited:
They are custom made. I just bought barbecue racks and with some screw bolts I made these curing racks...

That is such a good idea! I can get racks like that 2/$1 at the local dollar store. I never thought to stack them by using bolts and nuts/washers! I think that will be my weekend project.

By all means, have a play. But lard and Palm are regarded as being two very similar oils, with lard being the better of the two. Unlike co and pko where it is hard to say that one is better than the other, with Palm and lard there is a clear difference.

Mixing Palm and lard will give you a better soap than using just Palm, but a worse soap than just lard.

Back