True mica/soap soap pigment colors?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahmarah

Reaction score
I’ve been interested in blending up some small batches of color to play around with in soap. Essentially I’d like to go back to color theory and see if I can replicate some Pantone swatches with CMYK values as a guideline. I expect it may be more than a bit tedious. Are there places that have “true” cyan, magenta + yellow? I’m not sure it will even work but 🤷🏻‍♀️

I’ve been interested in blending up some small batches of color to play around with in soap. Essentially I’d like to go back to color theory and see if I can replicate some Pantone swatches with CMYK values as a guideline. I expect it may be more than a bit tedious. Are there places that have “true” cyan, magenta + yellow? I’m not sure it will even work but 🤷🏻‍♀️
Nurture soap has a color called synergy and tropical teal that come close.

I also make nail polish and the CMYK, HEX, RGB don't work with micas and pigments. Those systems are designed to work with certain paint systems or for recreating color on a computer.

I just use oxides, ultramarines and micas with a coffee grinder. I find a picture of the color I want to replicate and start mixing the colors until I get what I want.

I always had a hard time creating cyan. I started with a mica that was cyan and if you look at the ingredients of the mica, you can get a general idea of what colors they used to create their cyan.

If you get close to the color you want, then you can adjust the tint until you get what you want.

Nurture soap has a color called synergy and tropical teal that come close.

I also make nail polish and the CMYK, HEX, RGB don't work with micas and pigments. Those systems are designed to work with certain paint systems or for recreating color on a computer.

I just use oxides, ultramarines and micas with a coffee grinder. I find a picture of the color I want to replicate and start mixing the colors until I get what I want.

I always had a hard time creating cyan. I started with a mica that was cyan and if you look at the ingredients of the mica, you can get a general idea of what colors they used to create their cyan.

If you get close to the color you want, then you can adjust the tint until you get what you want.

Thank you so much!
I have actually have Synergy—it’s a great color. I’m definitely going to try blending up some colors. I really love that mid century modern neutral with a pop of unexpected color type of look. I’ve been so inspired by some of the Korean soap studios on Instagram. Aside from the abundance of pastels used—there are so many interesting color palettes. 😊
Are there any places that you would recommend for oxides and ultramarines?

https://tkbtrading.com/TKB is the cheapest out there for oxides and ultramarines but high quality.
https://justpigments.com/cartJust Pigments is a good place for mica in large quantities. They offer free shipping for $10 or more orders.

I use white mica instead of titanium dioxide for lightening my colors. Also synthetic micas are the brightest micas that you will find but they are expensive. However they are well worth the price because they blend so well with other pigments.

I use TD for some soap colors and I get it from Amazon. If you do some online research you can find some different shades of oxides, like tan and creams, brighter reds.

Hydrated chromium green and chromium green are good colors to start with for different green and blue colors.

I also recommend manganese violet for purple and red colors.

Nurture also has a color blender feature for use with their colors to get an approximate idea of what you will end up with by blending 2 together at different rates. Of course, this isn't too helpful if you need to blend 3 or more, and monitors differ from reality, but it is a starting point. I've used it several times and found it to be helpful and a time saver when I am trying to figure out a specific color (burgundy, I'm looking at you!).

https://tkbtrading.com/TKB is the cheapest out there for oxides and ultramarines but high quality.
https://justpigments.com/cartJust Pigments is a good place for mica in large quantities. They offer free shipping for $10 or more orders.

I use white mica instead of titanium dioxide for lightening my colors. Also synthetic micas are the brightest micas that you will find but they are expensive. However they are well worth the price because they blend so well with other pigments.

I use TD for some soap colors and I get it from Amazon. If you do some online research you can find some different shades of oxides, like tan and creams, brighter reds.

Hydrated chromium green and chromium green are good colors to start with for different green and blue colors.

I also recommend manganese violet for purple and red colors.

Good to know—just placed my first order with TKB 2 days ago. They have the elusive periwinkle ultramarine that I’ve been searching high and low for. I also got Ye Old Neon Red, True Coral, WinterRose and Soapberry Purple. I’ll look more at their oxides for the next order.

I’ve been using Snow White mica from MM for most of my white. I’ve been fighting the TD crackle a bit.

Nurture also has a color blender feature for use with their colors to get an approximate idea of what you will end up with by blending 2 together at different rates. Of course, this isn't too helpful if you need to blend 3 or more, and monitors differ from reality, but it is a starting point. I've used it several times and found it to be helpful and a time saver when I am trying to figure out a specific color (burgundy, I'm looking at you!).

I always forget about that feature on Nurtures site. Now of course I have to go play with it 😂

I've achieved burgundy and periwinkle by blending micas I have. I just googled how to get those colors and played around. I've gotten micas from BB, Mad Micas, WSP, and Rustic Escentuals. They're all comparable in quality.

Back