Troubleshooting my first CP soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moebym

Reaction score
Hi, all,

Two days ago, I took a crack at creating soap for the first time just to try things out. The recipe was the following, for a 48 oz loaf:

5% Castor oil
30% Coconut oil
10% Canola oil
10% Grapeseed oil
15% Lard
30% EVOO
Water was 11.78 oz, lye was 4.40 oz
Some used coffee grounds

The room where I was working was around 67-69 F, and my lye solution and oils were about 10 degrees apart (something like 116 and 108 F). I accidentally added a small amount (0.1 oz) or so more oil than the recipe called for, but decided to follow through and finish the job. After I was done pouring it into the mold, I insulated it with several layers of towels, which caused it to start to gel within hours. I checked it every so often (maybe too often) and even removed the towels for a few hours, but then put them back since I figured I would let it fully gel.

When I unmolded it a day after, it was about 95% gelled, and there looked to be "pockets" around some of the coffee grounds (visible in the attached images). It was fairly easy to cut, but a small amount of soap stuck to the silicone mold and onto the surface where I cut them. Also, a little oil seeped out and collected at the top during the gelling process, making the soap a bit greasy on the top.

From a beginner's perspective, I think my mistakes were adding a bit too much oil, using too many different kinds of oils, checking the soap too often, removing the insulation, and removing it too soon from the mold. Did I do anything else wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20180208_230439[1].jpg
    20180208_230439[1].jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20180208_202535[1].jpg
    20180208_202535[1].jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
How much lye and how much water, and total of your oils? What was your SF? and what was your lye concentration? Where the used coffee grounds wet or dry? (I prefer dry, so I don't have to calculate how much water is in the grounds). Was it a 31 ounce loaf or 31 ounces of oil total? With 31 ounces of oil and the default settings in the lye calculator, your total batch size would be about 48 ounces, which is why I ask. Does your scale measure in grams? I prefer to use grams for soaping as the measurements are a bit more accurate. Just to be sure, you are using weights to measure, correct?

It looks fully gelled, at least from the perspective of the photo attachments (sides only showing). A tenth of an ounce isn't much to worry about in 31 ounces of oil (if that's what you had altogether.) I'm not sure I am seeing the pockets you mention, but it could be the size doesn't expand enough for my eyes. Are they air pockets or just some discoloration around the grounds?

The greasiness should re-absorb with time as they sit out to air.

Those little areas you see around the coffee grounds don't look like anything to worry about to me. I have had that happen when I add
ground oats or coffee grounds.

Sometimes with using silicone molds you may need to wait a bit longer to unmold. Sometimes you need to wait
1 more day (as hard as that is to wait lol)....or it is too soft and does what yours did. No biggie though, it is still fine.

I don't think you made a mistake by peeking and peeking lol. I find it hard not to peek at my soap, it is so tempting to look at it, but next time, just look once then leave it be to continue to gel if you want it to gel fully ( I do not always gel, so do not always wrap in towels)

If you want to just keep it simple oil wise

Lard 40%
Olive Oil 25%
Coconut 25%
Castor 10%

I think it looks great! Congrats on your first batch!

How much lye and how much water, and total of your oils? What was your SF? and what was your lye concentration? Where the used coffee grounds wet or dry? (I prefer dry, so I don't have to calculate how much water is in the grounds). Was it a 31 ounce loaf or 31 ounces of oil total? With 31 ounces of oil and the default settings in the lye calculator, your total batch size would be about 48 ounces, which is why I ask. Does your scale measure in grams? I prefer to use grams for soaping as the measurements are a bit more accurate. Just to be sure, you are using weights to measure, correct?
  • Silly me, forgot lye and water. Water was 11.78 oz, lye was 4.40 oz
  • Oil weight was 31 oz., not loaf weight. You were right - the total weight of the loaf was 48 oz.
  • Superfat was 5% , lye concentration was 27.190%.
  • The coffee grounds were dry.
  • Yes, I used weights to measure, not volume.
  • I was using ounces (scale measures in increments of 0.05 oz), but I'm going to try using grams next time and see if it works better.
Are they air pockets or just some discoloration around the grounds?
Look like air pockets to me, and they seem to be concentrated around the center of the loaf.

Sometimes with using silicone molds you may need to wait a bit longer to unmold. Sometimes you need to wait
1 more day (as hard as that is to wait lol)....or it is too soft and does what yours did.
Good to know, thanks. I was definitely a bit anxious to cut it. :p

Last edited:
For the air pockets, they are probably just bubbles. Did you knock the mold on your workspace a few times after pouring? That will help force the air out, reducing the number of pockets.
Looks like good soap to me though. :)

For the air pockets, they are probably just bubbles. Did you knock the mold on your workspace a few times after pouring? That will help force the air out, reducing the number of pockets.
Looks like good soap to me though. :)
I did, but I forgot to "burp" the stick blender before using it, and didn't spray any rubbing alcohol on top. Will definitely remember for my next attempt. And thanks!

That looks fine to me. Perfectly fine for soap with coffee grounds. Good job!

You might want to try a lye concentration of 30-33% next time.

I peek at my soap frequently (I have to unwrap it to see it.). You have to to prevent volcano.

I never sweat those tiny amounts of oils that happen to go over. If it is more like half an ounce, then I re-run the recipe through the lye calculator just to be sure.

That is quite a few oils. You may want to cut that down by one or two.

If that’s your first soap, I can’t wait to see what you’ll make next :) Nice job!

That looks fine to me. Perfectly fine for soap with coffee grounds. Good job!

You might want to try a lye concentration of 30-33% next time.

I peek at my soap frequently (I have to unwrap it to see it.). You have to to prevent volcano.

I never sweat those tiny amounts of oils that happen to go over. If it is more like half an ounce, then I re-run the recipe through the lye calculator just to be sure.

I also peek frequently watching for volcanos, and I will also re-calculate if I have gone over more than a half ounce. Since I low superfat I do not sweat over-pouring my oils my a few grams.

I guess it was a little ambitious for a beginner to add so many oils, but the grapeseed oil had been sitting on the shelf for a while and I figured I'd use it up before it went bad.

Sometimes oils can sweat through if the loaf is overheated, I do it alllll the time. Luckily the oil always seems to reabsorb over a day or two. I usually unmolding after 2 days, then give the loaf another full 24 hours to air out, then cut. This gives the oil plenty of time to reabsorb!

Back