Troubleshooting: lye spots on ebru

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leilaninoel

Reaction score
Hello all,

I haven't had a chance to post yet (I was traveling for work), but I had this problem with several of the Ebru soaps I attempted
I suspect that in attempting to keep from over blending, I may not have blended enough - but I figured the knowledgeable folks on this forum would be a good resource for helping determining the culprit.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1489196084.715190.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1489196109.687402.jpg

The overall soap I thought came out super pretty (I'm totally digging DNA swirls). Upon further inspection, though, I noticed a few holes that had a translucent gel in it. I hoped it was glycerine, but zap test confirmed it was a lye spot. Boooo :(
This happened on 3 differently scented Ebru batches, including the waves, but otherwise the masterbatches was the same. I have had 2 successful batches with the same masterbatched lye and oils.

As I said, I suspect I may not have blended thoroughly enough in an attempt to keep things fluid. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Back