troubles starting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaman

Reaction score
Hi
Just started into the adventure of soapmaking. I repeatedly burn out my stick blenders! What am I doing wrong??? Silly? Maybe. But the local hardware store loves me, lol
imaman

You are probably not giving the stick blender a rest or are blending to too heavy a trace. I stick blend for a couple of minutes and then stir by hand for a minute or two and then back to stick blending, alternating until the soap comes to a thin trace, then pour into the mold.

I SB on & off...more off than on, using the SB just to stir in between, no buzzing.
My recipe doesn't seem to need a lot of SBing.
Depends on how thick I need my batter as to
when I stop. Usually at a thin trace unless,
I am doing some layering.

It also depends on your stick blender. I got a cheap one for about $12 or so (Proctor Silix) and it burned out pretty quick. My new one from KitchenAid was around $30 and it's been AMAZING.

I just push the button on my stick blender for a few seconds at a time and I don't have any trouble getting my batches to trace. As others have suggested, try taking it easy on your stick blender. You shouldn't be burning them out all of the time.

Also check the Salvation Army and thrift stores for used stick blenders. Often can find them for around $5.

If the stick blender starts to smell "hot" or the motor changes sound or the handle area gets overly warm, it's time to let the poor thing rest and cool off for a bit. 8)

I've had my Proctor Silex for over eight months now and it works great. I SB in pulses and alternate between manual mixing and SBing. It does get a bit hot when I SB for my liquid soaps since that takes longer to get to trace. It works great, but looking into a "back up." Haven't seen any at the local thrift shops though. Hopefully I'll luck out this summer and find one at a yard sale. Maybe you need to change up your recipe so it doesn't take so long to get to trace?

thank y'all for the comments. I will certainly take your word as gospel and will give it a try real soon.
imaman

You can get used ones on ebay for cheap.

I don't have much to add to the "on again, off again, pulse" recommendations.

I've never had a stick blender burn out but I have had seals go bad. They are usually rubber and lye is harsh on them. If you get lots of air bubbles in your finished soap, a bad seal may be to blame.

Mine has been suctioning to the bottom of my crock-pot?? Like a suction cup ,its kinda hard to move around?? I do short burst & hand stir 2 like most of you but I'm not sure why mines doing this??Oh & I do light trace so its not like the mixture is thick or heavy.Does anyone else have this issue?? I somehow doubt it cause only things like this happen to me..lol. Like the soap gods don't want me to make a great batch of soap..I'm a newbie myself..

Blenders

I have gone through a few blenders, but I think my problem was the blenders were all plastic, and over time, the lye weaken the structure.
They also were cheap.
I have a stainless steel bladed one now, and I am hoping this will be the answer to my problem. I also alternate the blender with the wire swisher, and stop before heavy trace. Just something to consider.
Happy Soaping

Mine has been suctioning to the bottom of my crock-pot?? Like a suction cup ,its kinda hard to move around?? I do short burst & hand stir 2 like most of you but I'm not sure why mines doing this??Oh & I do light trace so its not like the mixture is thick or heavy.Does anyone else have this issue?? I somehow doubt it cause only things like this happen to me..lol. Like the soap gods don't want me to make a great batch of soap..I'm a newbie myself..

Yes, if you put the stick blender on the bottom of the container it will create a vortex and suction itself to the bottom. Hold it at a bit of an angle so the soap can circulate, move it around, and do pulses of maybe 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off while continuing to hand stir.

Latest posts

Back