Trouble with morphing colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRogers

Reaction score
I am new to soaping but I have had trouble with micas and liquid colorants changing drastically in CP soap. I’ve had browns turn to pink, totally ruining my camouflage intent with a man’s soap. Thus, I am beginning to use more spices, herbs, clays, etc. I find them to be more true to color after the lye and cure process. Perhaps I’m using the others incorrectly?

I am new to soaping but I have had trouble with micas and liquid colorants changing drastically in CP soap. I’ve had browns turn to pink, totally ruining my camouflage intent with a man’s soap. Thus, I am beginning to use more spices, herbs, clays, etc. I find them to be more true to color after the lye and cure process. Perhaps I’m using the others incorrectly?

Where are you buying your micas? If your vendor does not indicate color stability in CP soap, then those particular micas are unsuitable for lye soap. Where do you get your liquid colorants? If at a hobby store, they are probably meant only for MP soap, so not lye stable colorants.

Where are you buying your micas? If your vendor does not indicate color stability in CP soap, then those particular micas are unsuitable for lye soap. Where do you get your liquid colorants? If at a hobby store, they are probably meant only for MP soap, so not lye stable colorants.
Thanks for your response. I got them from Amazon and didn’t t think to check to see if they say suitable for CP. You are probably correct! I always check scents but failed at this!!

You are best off buying from a soap supplier but you still need to check for stability. Brambleberry has good micas, some does TKB trading.

Nurture Soap does free shipping over $30 to 48 states. Just sayin'. :)

I prefer to use TKB, Nurture or Brambleberry b/c they have pictures of the color in action. I also buy from WSP because they have reviews I can check. It's a good policy to only buy (or mostly buy) from soap people who test things in soap.

Thus, I am beginning to use more spices, herbs, clays, etc. I find them to be more true to color after the lye and cure process.
This may be true for clays and activated charcoal, but you'll find that most spices and dried plant powders will fade and/or morph over time, some not as quick as others. Some morph while in the pot in my case haha.. I like playing with them though lol

Back